Main Ingredient in Potato Pancakes: Raw or Cooked Potatoes?

Category Potatoes
If you survey the internet, cookbooks, or speak to family members and friends you are likely to find that both raw and cooked potatoes find their way into some version of potato pancakes. Take your pick from some of the tips found in this guide.

I just read all the entries for potato pancakes. I was amazed at the entries calling for raw grated potatoes as the main ingredient.

In a reply to a comment to another question I had (asking for a plum pudding recipe), I made this statement:

"The culinary art does allow for adaptation and interchangeability within recipes for most dishes. I'm sure this holds true for plum pudding".

With that in mind, and certain it applies to potato pancakes as well, I would like a general consensus on the main ingredient in potato pancakes.

In my home and in the homes of all I knew, potato cakes were made from leftover stewed potatoes. They were mashed, but not so fine as to remove all lumps. Those lumps made the cakes even better.

Now after reading all the entries in the article, I find a lot of people use raw, grated potatoes. To my way of thinking, these cakes should not be called potato pancakes. I see them as little more than glorified hash browns. But then, I did say "The culinary art does allow for adaptation and interchangeability".

My question: In your opinion, do these 'hash brown' cakes qualify as the traditional 'potato pancake'? Elaborate if you like.

Does it really matter? No

Will my question make good 'rag'? I think so.

Answers

Anonymous

I just bought and froze 10 loaves of Walmart French bread. Some of those loaves will be for making panko.

I didn't think my potato cakes could get any better. I might just prove myself wrong when I make them with panko. Yes!

We always did it with grated raw potatoes

Growing up, mum made them with leftover mash and they were fried so they were crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside, yet somehow were still super thin. Some kinda magic, I dunno ;)

And after reading your posts about the dishes you prepare, I bet they were delicious, too.

Thanks, Judy