Making Potato Pancakes

Category Potatoes
Use grated, ground, or leftover mashed potatoes to make these delicious savory pan fried cakes, also known as latkes. This is a guide about making potato pancakes.

A traditional Polish recipe that can be doctored for your tastes - sweet OR savory!

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 12 pancakes

Link: www.triingforbalance.blogspot.com

• 3 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk (more or less depending on your batter consistency)
  • Add ins: either 1/2 cup minced onions or 1 Tbsp each cinnamon and vanilla (some likes it savory, I like it sweet)

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add in egg and milk, whisk together until batter is smooth (2-3 minutes).
  2. Ad

3. Enlist your helper to chop, chop, chop up them taters. We have a handy, dandy slap chopper to get the job done, but you could use a food processor or a grater to do it as well. After you have all your taters shredded, add it to the batter and stir it up.
  4. Now, my great grandmother did these babies in the fryer, but since we like our arteries, I decided to PAM up a skillet and cook them like normal pancakes. Pour 1/4 cup (or so) of batter onto a skillet and cook until bubbles form, and then flip. Repeat until all your pancakes are cooked up!

• 2 cups buttermilk pancake mix
  • 2 egg
  • 1 (16 oz.) bottle 7-Up
  • 2 large potatoes, grated very fine
  • 1/4 cup oil

Directions:

Combine eggs, pancake mix, potatoes, and oil. Add enough 7-Up to make a very thin batter; let stand 10 minutes. Fry on hot griddle until done.

By Robin from Washington, IA

If you survey the internet, cookbooks, or speak to family members and friends you are likely to find that both raw and cooked potatoes find their way into some version of potato pancakes. Take your pick from some of the tips found in this guide.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Enjoy this unusual recipe for sweet potatoes.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I live alone. I have been trying to make up a recipe for potato patties or pancakes, using instant potatoes. So far all I have made is a mess. Can one of you Thrifty readers help me out? Thank you.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

Answers

When I make instant mashed potatoes I always make extra so I can make potato cakes the next day - or a couple of days later. Into a bowl with the potatoes I add an egg, salt & pepper to taste, and a sleeve of Ritz crackers crushed up pretty fine (I almost always use store brand Ritz crackers). Mix well and make into patties. If you have a lot of potatoes, you may need to add more crackers or an extra egg.

Melt shortening in a skillet, med heat, and brown on one side until crispy. Flip and brown on the other side - done! I have even made up the patties and put them on a paper plate - not browned- and frozen them for later use and they are good.

• 3 cups raw potatoes, grated
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cream or milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. salt

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Form into patties and fry until browned in hot skillet. (375-400 degrees F)

By Robin from Washington, IA

If you are like me. I am always looking for a good way to use leftovers. I hate to throw them out. My grand babies think they are getting pancakes for supper.

• Leftover mashed potatoes (pintos may be used also)
  • enough flour to make them stick together
  • vegetable oil

Directions:

Take and mix ingredients together. Form a ball and place in hot oil. Take and flatten into pancake. Brown on both sides. Add ketchup, not syrup. Very easy to make and you don't feel guilty throwing away food.

By Mary Warren from Frisco, TX

Answers:

Potato Pancakes

I've made these for years but I add finely diced onions and an egg to them and fry them is Canola oil to make them crunchy :) (09/14/2009)

By Ranji

Potato Pancakes

I always make potato pancakes out of left over mashed potatoes. I scramble an egg and mix it with the potatoes and add a little garlic powder. I use a big spoon to just spoon it onto hot olive oil. Yum! (09/15/2009)

By Ivette Farah

• 3 large potatoes, peeled and grated
  • 2 onions, grated
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • Crisco or lard for frying (use solid shortening)

Directions:

Mix the grated potatoes and onion; drain off excess moisture. Stir in the flour, eggs, salt and pepper. Drop by tablespoonfuls into not too deep hot fat. Brown and turn; drain on paper towels. Serves 6.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 6 medium potatoes
  • 3 eggs
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 onion, grated
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • dash garlic
  • oil
  • butter

Directions

Grate potatoes, and add the eggs, flour, onion, salt, pepper and garlic. In skillet, heat oil and butter until hot. Shape mixture into patties and fry in the hot oil.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Potato Pancakes

Does it matter if you use white or red potatoes? Thanks (06/12/2009)

By Sandi

Potato Pancakes

When I was growing up mom made those but she used left over mashed potatoes and all of the other same ingredients. They probably looked a little different but they sure was good! (06/12/2009)

By Meemaw

When making them, instead of putting flour, into the potato mixture, put in potato flakes, from Hungry Jack or any instant potato product.

Does anyone have a recipe for mashed potato pancakes? My mother made the best ones on the planet but she passed away before I could get the recipe. All I remember is that she put in an egg, salt and pepper.

Simple and versatile, potato pancakes appeal to everyone from kids to sophisticated diners.

Recipes and tips for making Potato Pancakes

Heat oil in frying pan before cooking. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and then blend together well.