Potato Cake Recipes

Category Potatoes
Potato Cakes
Potatoes can be made into delicious pancakes or patties for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This page contains potato cake recipes.

A different, very tasty way to serve potatoes.

• 5 medium potatoes
  • 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped, green and white parts
  • Ad

• 3 Tbsp fresh dill weed, chopped
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • flour for dredging
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil

Directions:

Boil potatoes in their skins until done. Peel while still warm, then mash. Stir in the feta, onions, dill, egg, and lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill.

Divide into small balls, flatten slightly, and dredge in the flour. Heat the oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.

Good when served with sour cream.

Servings: 6
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Times like this when food prices are rising I am so glad for the simple and thrifty dishes my mother and grandmother taught me. One that I always loved and decided to put a new twist on is leftover mashed potato cakes.

For some reason it popped into my mind in the shower, "I bet if you dip potato patties in instant potato flakes it would make a crispy, almost potato chip coating." And it worked! Here is my recipe (actually a non recipe recipe, as this is usually just thrown together)

Ingredients

Directions

Place enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet and heat up on medium heat. Mix potatoes, egg(s), salt and pepper. Stir in cheese, if desired. Add enough flour until you can form into patties about the size of small hamburgers.

Now here's the part that takes them over the top - pour instant potato flakes onto wax paper and press each side of each potato patty into the flakes.

Once oil is ready (It should sizzle when a drop of water is dropped in oil), gently place patties in skillet. Make sure not to crowd, (you will need to do 2 batches.) Fry until crisp and golden brown on each side and place on paper towel to drain. Makes about 24.

My kids love these! And it is a great way to use up leftover potatoes!

Enjoy friends!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

A traditional Polish recipe that can be doctored for your tastes - sweet OR savory!

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 12 pancakes

Link: www.triingforbalance.blogspot.com

• 3 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk (more or less depending on your batter consistency)
  • Add ins: either 1/2 cup minced onions or 1 Tbsp each cinnamon and vanilla (some likes it savory, I like it sweet)

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add in egg and milk, whisk together until batter is smooth (2-3 minutes).
  2. Enlist your helper to chop, chop, chop up them taters. We have a handy, dandy slap chopper to get the job done, but you could use a food processor or a grater to do it as well. After you have all your taters shredded, add it to the batter and stir it up.
  3. Now, my great grandmother did these babies in the fryer, but since we like our arteries, I decided to PAM up a skillet and cook them like normal pancakes. Pour 1/4 cup (or so) of batter onto a skillet and cook until bubbles form, and then flip. Repeat until all your pancakes are cooked up!

These are very tasty. I made them with chicken and cheese.

Directions:

Put all ingredients into a bowl. Mix together and form into flat cakes. Dust with flour and shallow fry or brush with a little oil and grill.

By deirdre from Co. Meath, Ireland

In skillet, heat oil. Add remainder of ingredients together and make into patties. Place into skillet, turn over when patty turns golden. Do the same on the other side.

It is easy to make potato cakes gluten free, check out these delicious gluten free potato cake recipes to learn how.

Plate of potato cakes sprinkled with parsley.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I live alone. I have been trying to make up a recipe for potato patties or pancakes, using instant potatoes. So far all I have made is a mess. Can one of you Thrifty readers help me out? Thank you.

By Linda

When I make instant mashed potatoes I always make extra so I can make potato cakes the next day - or a couple of days later. Into a bowl with the potatoes I add an egg, salt & pepper to taste, and a sleeve of Ritz crackers crushed up pretty fine (I almost always use store brand Ritz crackers). Mix well and make into patties. If you have a lot of potatoes, you may need to add more crackers or an extra egg.

Melt shortening in a skillet, med heat, and brown on one side until crispy. Flip and brown on the other side - done! I have even made up the patties and put them on a paper plate - not browned- and frozen them for later use and they are good.