Syrup Alternatives for Pancakes

Category Substitutions
There are a variety of delicious ways to top pancakes or waffles. This guide contains syrup alternatives for pancakes.

My kids love to have pancakes or French toast for breakfast pretty often. My only concern is the amount of syrup that they eat along with the main course. We started making our own syrup from fresh fruit when available, but there's still a lot of sugar in it too. So, I have started putting a dollop of syrup into a bowl of applesauce and topping their pancakes with that instead. More nutrition and less sugar, means less hyper kids to scrape off the ceiling an hour later!

By Gina J. from CO

One day, I read the ingredients on a bottle of "maple" flavored syrup. Holy Cow! No wonder my kids were so crazed after pancakes! But the high fructose corn syrup and sugar aren't the worst parts. The preservatives alone are enough to terrify you. So we started buying up fruit at the store, or better yet, the local farmers market, and canning our own syrups.

This is not as complicated as it sounds! If you haven't canned before, have no fear, it's easy. The syrup has a fantastic fresh flavor, and at least you know what's in it (fruit, sugar, and some pectin, if you choose).

Syrup can also be served over ice cream, on snow cones, etc. And as I mentioned in a previous post, you can always mix some of the syrup with applesauce and serve it to cut down on the sugar further.

To avoid the artificial flavors of Koolaid, I squeeze 4 limes (at 10 cents each) into a gallon of water. I add some of our syrup (pineapple at the moment and practically free). Add a little sugar if it's too tart, some salt if it's hot out. You now have a great replacement for Gatoraid or Koolaid.

By Gina J. from CO