Make Reusable Absorbent Towels

Category Patterns
In our continuing efforts to be more environmentally friendly, cutting back on the use of paper towels is an area where we have a number of options. This is a guide about make reusable absorbent towels.

Do you use a lot of paper towels? Here's a way to help cut down and save money in the process. Get some flannel and some terry cloth from the fabric store; about 3 yards of each. Use cardboard or plastic to make a 10 by 11 inch template and cut it out. Cut about 20 each of flannel and terry cloth squares.

Now place them with a flannel and terry cloth together, fronts of the fabric facing. Leave a 3-4 inch space on one side to allow room to turn them right side out and then sew all the way around using 1/2 inch seams. Remember to leave the space for turning. Clip corners, avoiding the thread. Turn the towels right side out and with a stick, chopstick, or screwdriver make the corners as straight as possible. Line up the sides and pin them every 3-4 inches, making sure to turn in the fabric from the open space.

Sew a topstitch seam around the outside of the towels about 1/4" from the outside edges. Repeat this 3/8" in from the outer edges. You should now have several un-paper towels with terry cloth on one side and flannel on the other.

If desired, put snaps on opposite sides at the corners and in the middle so you can attach them together, roll them up and put them on a standing paper towel roll. It's great. They are soft, absorbent, and reusable, which saves money and trees. We also have small ones made from fabric leftovers from the large ones. We use these for wiping sweat from foreheads, napkins for meals, and for the grandkids. They also make great coasters.

By simpleadditions from Wright City, MO

I just keep a stack of hand towels at the kitchen sink and that's what we reach for to dry washed fruit & veggies, wipe up a wet counter, dry your hands, etc. Mine aren't as pretty as the cute cows. I have odd colors and some have stains that won't come out but I still use them. I've had some for close to 30 years.

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

This is a great saving $ idea. I've done a similar idea by using old towels and cut them in smaller pieces and stitched the edges.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Ugh! too much trouble, too bulky and unsightly to keep on counter anywhere. Makes no sense to me if by making towels one would be buying more detergent, etc. for sanitation of towels and then end up with other materials (detergent bottles, etc) of which to dispose.
I can think of many other cons.
Sorry, not something I'd bother to do.