Make Your Own Cat Litter

Does anyone know how to make clumping cat litter? It is getting very expensive to purchase.

By Rose Smith from Malvern, PA

Answers:

Make Your Own Cat Litter

I have not seen anything on how to make clumping cat litter. However, I see two possible options for saving money on cat litter: 1) Toilet train your cat (I tried this with my adult cat and it worked pretty well until he generalized to the sink), or 2) Try this homemade cat litter recipe, http://alliesanswers.com/tip-of-the-day/tip-of-the-day-make-your-own-kitty-litter/1044. (I don't think it clumps, but it is cheap!) (05/04/2009)

By Amy

Make Your Own Cat Litter

The best way to eliminate the smell is to use chlorophyll, like you find in grass clippings. To avoid bringing unwanted pests into the house, bag or cover clippings with black plastic and leave it in the sun for a couple of hours to heat up. Open it to the air to eliminate dampness from condensation, then fill the litter box. This works with fall leaves as well. If you use any chemicals on your lawn, don't use this method. (05/04/2009)

By Diane

Make Your Own Cat Litter

If you have dollar trees, it's just 1.00 for 4 lbs. That's pretty good. (05/04/2009)

By Sandi/Poor But Proud

Make Your Own Cat Litter

Bebhinne, so you just take grass clippings (after you have bagged them in the sun) and put them in the litter box and dump it every few days? (05/05/2009)

By Amy

Make Your Own Cat Litter

Aimee, well, it doesn't clump, but it's great at killing the odor. This would be used more like the old style litter and be changed out completely every week or less. We found out by accident how well this works when one of our cats decided she preferred to live in the garage. The lawnmower had been put away and some clippings were on the garage floor.

We didn't realize she'd been relieving herself there until we went to use the mower the next week. No smell! After some experimentation, I came upon the bagging method to kill any bugs that get mixed in with the clippings. (05/06/2009)

By Diane

I use play sand available at any hardware store, mixed with 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda. works great and cheap