Homemade Cat Litter Ideas

Cat litter is messy and can be is expensive. After trying a few different alternatives, I have found one that works great and is much less expensive!

Here is what to do and how:
I use equine bedding pellets. They are made from saw dust, I think. A 40 pound bag is about $7 at any feed store and lasts as long as the same amount of kitty litter would have lasted you. I add the same amount of the equine pellets to the litter box and mix in about 2 cups of baking soda. A large bag at Costco is about $7 and lasts months. Then I add about 1 cup of water (don't worry - it gets soaked up quickly by the pellets).

The odor is much better controlled and you can go a few more days between changing/cleanings than usual if you want or need to. I dump out the entire litter box each time and do the whole process again. It is super easy and so cheap! I have been doing this for over a year and am so glad to be saving so much money. It is non-toxic and creates much less dust!

More Solutions

Shred some newspaper and soak it in a Tbsp. of dish soap and water. Allow it to soak until the water gets dirty. Drain it off in a colander and re-soak it in plain water. Drain it again and mix in some baking soda.

Please do NOT use Speedy Dry or any similar product as cat litter. At least some of them have additives that may be harmful to or fatal for your cat. I foster so therefore have a lot of cats and am ALWAYS concerned with cost.

Here is a free and cleaner way to have a cat box. After 30 years of being a cat parent, I have found that by simply lining newspaper inside a litter box, it is much more cleaner, not as time consuming, and free with newspaper donations. Plus, you are recycling newspapers.

A cat box lined with newspaper.

9 Questions

How can I make homemade cat litter?

By Debbie

Answers

Chances are, your cat is already accustomed to the brand you're supplying at the moment. If you're lucky, it'll accept your substitute but if it's an older cat, chances are it's not going to like the change. I'm not sure of any homemade cat litter recipes that will get cats do their business on but have you thought of adding a filler like sand for example to make a bag last longer? Just a thought. Also, make sure you're using a covered litter tray so that litter stays contained. The waste from your cat digging adds up.

Anonymous

Gradually replacing the old litter with added amounts of the new litter over time until it is eventually the only one will solve that problem.

Hooded / "covered" litter boxes are not good for your cats respiratory health as they concentrate fumes and dust and force your cat to breathe them. It is also more difficult for you to see when the litter box matter needs attention. Hooded boxes are for the convenience of their person and they are definitly not preferred by cats!

I use a large dog kennel as an enclosed litter box just take the gate off. there is enough air circulating through that the cat doesn't inhale fumes and quite enough room for the animal to turn around.

Answer this Question

Can someone advise me on how to make homemade cat litter?

By nailed from Ogden, UT

Answers

There are some suggestions in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

I found a great web site for making homemade cat litter. Try this homemade one, www.ehow.com/how_4868252_make-homemade-cat-litter.

If you or someone you know is into woodworking or you have a sawmill locally. Sawdust works great. Fill you box with sawdust add some baking soda mix them together and you have cat litter.

Is it safe for cats to inhale sawdust?
And they surely will ingest some of it while licking paws or grooming themselves... isn't that dangerous?

I would talk to your vet to be sure but I couldn't find anything concerning about cats ingesting or breathing in sawdust. Many sites recommend it as a safe alternative to regular kitty litter. Maybe use wood shavings instead to avoid the dust.

Answer this Question

Is there a way to make cat litter -- or use something else in place of it that is inexpensive?

How do you make clumping cat litter?

Does anyone know how to make clumping cat litter? It is getting very expensive to purchase.

Pets CatsFebruary 13, 2012
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf90658114.tip.html