Make a Bottle of Fabric Softener Last for 8 Years

contest winner icon
I got this tip from the Mary Hunt website. Get a spray bottle and fill 1/3 with fabric softener. Fill the rest of the bottle with water. Spray a few times on both sides of an old washcloth, and throw it in the dryer. Turn the bottle gently before each use to mix up the contents well. I don't shake the bottle.

I bought a bottle of fabric softener in 2008, and I still have enough left to last the rest of the year and then some! I didn't think it would still be good, but it is.

Link: Mary Hunt's website: Everydaycheapskate

Top Comment

When I wash clothes by hand, I rinse them thoroughly. Then I rinse them again with water to which fabric softener has been added. I use just barely enough water to cover the clothes so I don't have to use much softener. Still, I hate to see all that clean rinse water filled with fabric softener go down the drain.

With your method, none goes down the drain. Good for you!

I don't use fabric softener at all and haven't noticed any difference other than you don't get the scent on your clothes, so I might start doing this just to add a bit of a fresh scent