Saving Money on Fabric Softener

Category Laundry
Fabric Softener
Laundry care products can be expensive to buy. This is a guide about saving money on fabric softener.

I love the way my laundry feels and smells when using fabric softener. However I never want to spend the money that the fabric softener costs. So I purchased a plain spray bottle and fabric softener, filled it with fabric softener about 1/3 of the way up and the rest of way with water.

Now when I throw my clothes in the dryer, I grab my spray bottle and spray several squirts of my fabric softener mixture directly on the clothes inside of the dryer and start it up. Not only does it make my clothes smell good but it removes the static and the need for dryer sheets. Plus your fabric softener lasts a lot longer. Try it you'll be pleased with the results.

By Stacey from GA

Top Comment

To solve the problem of spray on the clothes, just use an old washcloth and spray the fabric softener on the washcloth and throw it in the dryer. Just leave it in the dryer and reuse it over and over by just giving it a couple more sprays each time. Have been doing this for years and have saved tons of money.

Top Comment

I have been doing this for years, except I use 1/3c. fabric softner, 1/3c. distilled vinegar, and 1/3c. water. I also spray it on a small towel, and through it in the dryer with the clothes. Now my clothes comes out feeling great and smelling wonderful. And no more static cling. Weezy1c.

I love using fabric softener for my laundry, and one bottle of fabric softener makes two for me, and I'll share how:

I saved one of my empty fabric softener containers and when I bought a new one the same size, I poured 1/2 the contents into the empty, saved, bottle and filled both bottles to the top with water. I use a 1/2 capful in each load and it lasts me for more than a month. Try it.

Note: Most fabric softeners these days are ultra brands or very thick and loaded with perfumes and work just the same when diluted.

Umm al Quain, UAE

Top Comment

Here's another way to save on fabric softener.

Use 1 capful of liquid softener mixed in a 32 oz spray bottle of water. Spray a few squirts of this diluted fabric softener onto an old clean washcloth or other similar size piece of material and throw it into the dryer with your clothes. Use the same cloth over and over again. Just spray it again and throw it back into the dryer with the next load.

Top Comment

That's a good idea bluealt, but instead of fooling with 2 bottles of fabric softner and all that water, why don't you just use less fabric softner? That might be easier. Just an idea. One tip I use for dryer sheets is to cut them in half after buying and just just half a sheet for each load. Half works just fine, for half the price!

Top Comment

I really liked your suggestion sbb1. I am going to try it. My washer doesnt have a fabric softener dispenser so I use one of the Downy brand "balls" that dispenses it. I try to do half and half, but its not as good as the way you do it. (smile)

My father always said, "Its not how much money you earn, but how you spend the money you have." I think that is why your suggestion appeals so to me.

Warm regards from the other side of our planet,

When using fabric softener sheets, cut them in half. They work just exactly the same as a whole sheet does. As a matter of fact, it works so well that when I bought multiple fabric softener sheets, my son (who is 21) opened each and every box and cut them all in half and placed a note on my dryer "to use only half a sheet, it works the same as a whole sheet". My sons learned this tip from me when they were small boys and remember it to this day.

By hooahmom69 from Chester, SC

Top Comment

I've also cut my dryer sheets in 4th's and have saved lots of money that way.

Top Comment

I hang on the line when I can but when I do use the dryer I never use a full sheet! 4ths? Wow! I will have to try it! I have been using halfs! :)

I got this tip from the Mary Hunt website. Get a spray bottle and fill 1/3 with fabric softener. Fill the rest of the bottle with water. Spray a few times on both sides of an old washcloth, and throw it in the dryer. Turn the bottle gently before each use to mix up the contents well. I don't shake the bottle.

I bought a bottle of fabric softener in 2008, and I still have enough left to last the rest of the year and then some! I didn't think it would still be good, but it is.

Link: Mary Hunt's website: Everydaycheapskate

Top Comment

When I wash clothes by hand, I rinse them thoroughly. Then I rinse them again with water to which fabric softener has been added. I use just barely enough water to cover the clothes so I don't have to use much softener. Still, I hate to see all that clean rinse water filled with fabric softener go down the drain.

With your method, none goes down the drain. Good for you!

When doing laundry, use white vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of fabric softener. This deodorizes laundry and softens it too. Then when you put items in the dryer, pour a little fabric softener on a pair of knee high nylons or panty hose (ones that are no longer fit to wear) and throw them in with the laundry. This helps not only to soften the laundry, but also helps remove lint and pills. It saves money on the fabric softener and dramatically cuts down on lint.

By Shelly E

If you are like me, you love for your nice clean cloths to smell great and feel really soft, but can't afford to buy the expensive brand of fabric softener. Well I have a great tip to share that will make your fabric softer last longer and cloths smell just as great and feel just as soft while saving yourself a whole lot of money.

I pour Downey into a small bucket or anything that has a lid, then fill the Downey bottle with water and dump it in the bucket. Add another Downey bottle of water, then take a new cleaning sponge and cut it into forths. Drop the sponge pieces in the bucket with the Downey and water. When you pull your clothes out off the washer, take one of those cut up sponges and squeeze it just to where it won't make a mess going to the dryer, and put it in the dryer with your wet cloths. Let it dry and your clothes will come out smelling fresher and a whole lot softer then ever before. I've been doing this for awhile. We have seven people live n my house, so Downey has to stretch as far as possible and it does. Trust me

By Heather from Brooker, FL

ThriftyFun.com Staff1 found this helpful

In a recent Reader's Request (one of our other newsletters) we published a reader's request for frugal fabric softener ideas. Below is one of the responses we received.

I like to use dryer sheets, but they're a bit pricey for my tastes. So for some reason, one time I tried to tear one in half. It was quite easy to tear. Now I tear mine in thirds.

Tips for saving money on fabric softener. Post your ideas below.

Answers:

Save Money on Fabric Softener

Use white vinegar in the rinse cycle of your wash in place of expensive fabric softeners. The vinegar doesn't leave an odor on your clean clothes, and it cleans the inside of your washer at the same time.

By Bonnie (06/28/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Save Money on Fabric Softener

Two cups of fabric softener to 1 gallon of water. I soak a rag in this solution, wring it out and throw it in the dryer with the clothes. Your gallon of homemade diluted fabric softener will last for months and you never have to wait for the rinse cycle. I've used this method for years. I find that a large jug you buy at the store can be used in this method and will last for years. (08/07/2004)

By Gisele

Save Money on Fabric Softener

If you want soft clothes out of the dryer, but hate the expense of a softener, just use a dash of vinegar. Just a quarter cup or a little more for a large load, does the trick. I have also added about a tablespoon of fabric softener along with the vinegar, and this has worked very well also. I might add that on occasion (the clothes have sat in the washer too long, so I know they will emerge wrinkled from the dryer) I have obtained similar softness, merely by running the clothes through the rinse cycle again! This might not work with harder water, though.

Patti (08/18/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Save Money on Fabric Softener

"Use white vinegar in the rinse cycle of your wash in place of expensive fabric softeners."

Just don't do what I did and use the ready-spiced white pickling vinegar by accident! (08/19/2004)

By chickybiker

To Save On Cost Of Laundry

Dilute your liquid fabric softener. I save the empty jug and split the new bottle into both jugs and fill with water. It works great!

By Wanda Gaskins (10/31/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Save Money on Fabric Softener

Do you know that using fabric softener on your towels makes them less absorbant? Don't use any fabric softener, you will save lots of money! (10/31/2004)

By JMRoss

Save Money on Fabric Softener

Why not just put in half as much, and save the hassle of splitting the bottle (10/31/2004)

By jju

Save Money on Fabric Softener

I have found that white vinegar doesn't hamper the absorbency of towels the way commercial fabric softeners do. (11/02/2004)

By Leann2

Spraying Fabric Softener

I put about 1/4 cup of Downey in a large spray bottle and then fill with water and shake. Lightly spray the inside of the dryer before putting the clothes in. This leaves your clothes just as fresh as using 1/4 cup per load!

By Julie (11/24/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Less Fabric Softener

When drying clothes in my dryer, I only add half the usual amount of fabric softener to the washer. Since the dryer softens clothes anyway, that amount is fine. Saves money!

By Linda (01/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Save Money on Fabric Softener

I only use liquid softeners for my sheets and my tops (for the love of the smell). For all else, I use cheap store brand dryer sheets cut into thirds. The softening and static control are the same but with a 66% savings. Wonderful! (01/15/2005)

By brizaksmommy

Save Money on Fabric Softener

I use several of the ideas already listed...First of all, I buy a cheap brand of liquid softener. Then I dilute it to half softener, half water. Next, I pour a little in a bowl and soak a fingertip towel in it. Wring the towel out until just damp. Let it dry, and place it in the dryer. Load your clothes and dry with this towel. Leave the towel in the dryer for the next use. I have been using this method for almost a year, and have only wrung out the towel once more after the initial application. And I don't use fabric softeners on towels, washclothes, and dishtowels. (01/16/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Reusing Fabric Softener Sheets

Use fabric softener sheets twice, then store them in a jar w/ diluted liquid softener. When drying a load of clothes, squeeze out the excess solution and toss in the dryer.

By Chell (01/17/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Fabric Softener Rag

You can save big money on fabric softener by using it in its concentrated form right from the bottle. A very small amount (a quarter sized dollop) on an old cotton rag thrown into the dryer with a wet load of clothing is more than enough to produce just the right amount of softening and help control static cling. I have mine in a pump container and one to two small squirts is sufficient to do several loads of clothing. No used dryer sheet to throw away either - when the rag needs cleaning, just throw it in with a load of laundry and reuse.

By Ronsan (03/08/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Save Money on Fabric Softener

I use white vinegar in the rinse dispenser and the fabric dispenser of my washing machine. If I want a fragrence in any load I then throw one of the sponges into the dryer that I keep soaking in a container with fabric softener which I have diluted with water by 50%. Not an expensive alternative and works well. (03/08/2005)

By grannyz

Save Money on Fabric Softener

I use Fabuloso as my fabric softener. It is like a Pine Sol but they have different fragances. Plus, it makes your clothes cleaner and it smells great. The price for Fabuloso is much cheaper. (03/09/2005)

By Daniele

Save Money on Fabric Softener

A washing machine mechanic advised me not to use fabric softener in my washing machine as in time it can clog up the machine. He advised me to use white vinegar instead. (03/16/2005)

By Joy

Savings on Fabric Softener

I have been using an old dish towel as a fabric softener sheet. I pour a couple of capfuls of Downey on it and throw it in the dryer. It has taken over a year to go through a bottle of Downey fabric softener. I add more Downey about every 15 loads or just when I notice a little static. It helps to use a towel that is distinct from the other laundry. I use a pink towel, which is a one of a kind in our house.

By Diana (05/09/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Fabric Softener

Instead of spending so much on dryer sheets, try mixing 60/40 water/fabric softener in a spray bottle, when loading up the dryer, spray/mist the clothes with the mixture, you will get more for your money and less trips to the store when you run out of dryer sheets!

By Kathy (09/06/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Save Money on Fabric Softener

I use white vinegar in the washer all the time. It softens the water, softens the clothes, neutralizes many odors, leaves clothes fresh. It helps the soap rinse cleaner than plain water alone. It's a mild disinfectant. Vinegar is great for people with allergies to such products as soaps and softeners. (09/07/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Save Money on Fabric Softener

I cut my dryer sheets in half and use 1/2 sheet per dryer load. Cuts the expense of the the box of sheets in half and works just as well as a full sheet! (09/07/2005)

By Stacie

Save Money on Fabric Softener

Now they have washing detergent that has the fabric softener already added in it. It smells so great. And since the two are together for the same price as your regular detergent, it saves you some money! (09/22/2005)

By BrookesMommy