Making Ghee or Clarified Butter
Ghee is the pure butter oil, minus the water/butterfat and is credited for being healthier to use in cooking. It is pretty expensive to buy but oh so inexpensive to make!
Total Time: 30 minutes, including wait time
- 2 sticks organic, unsalted butter
- HEATPROOF jars
- Cut up two sticks of organic, unsalted butter in a heavy weight pan and place on stove on "low".
- Allow them to melt and then bubble. They may get a foamy head on top, which you can skim off with a "dry" spoon.
- Be patient and let it boil, stirring occasionally and not letting it burn. Mine took about 10 to 12 minutes.
- There is a test you can do to check for remaining moisture in your ghee. Take a "tiny" piece of paper towel, drop a small drop of ghee on it and light it on fire. If it snaps or crackles, it still has some water in the ghee and you should continue cooking a bit longer.
- Once it is ready (there will be some light brown bits on the bottom of the pan), turn off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Then place some cheesecloth over your "heatproof" jar (I used a rubber band to hold it in place) and slowly pour the ghee into the container/s.
- Ghee doesn't need to be refrigerated and adds a rich, delicious flavor to everything you cook!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.