Making Rainbow Lollipops
A fun edible craft that uses crushed, melted hard candies to make beautiful suckers. The rainbow lollipops are gorgeous when held up to the light.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a super fun craft that doubles as a delicious treat. Use hard candies to melt into rainbows for one side of the lollipop, then create your own silver-spiked clear hard candy for the other side. The result is a beautiful lollipop that has a highly saturated rainbow side, and a pastel sparkly rainbow on the flip side. These are super gorgeous when held up to the light.
Total Time: 90 minutes
- coloured hard candies (like Jolly Ranchers)
- freezer bags
- silicone molds (any shape you like)
- lollipop sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- wooden spoon
- candy thermometer or ice water and bowl
- edible glitter
- hair dryer or oven (toaster oven will work)
- Preheat oven to 275 F. Separate your hard candies by colour, unwrap, and add to freezer bags. Use a hard and stable surface (a thick chopping board will do) to hammer the candies into little bits.
- Place each colour into its own bowl.
- Sprinkle some of each colour of hard candy into the silicone molds.
- Place in preheated oven for about 7 minutes, until fully melted and you see no candy chunks.
- Allow to cool until fully hardened, then pop out the molds and set aside. Clean out the candy molds.
- To make hard clear candy for the pastel side, place sugar, corn syrup, and water in saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Use your candy thermometer to make sure it registers at 300 F for hard crack stage.
- If you don't have a candy thermometer, have a little bowl of very cold water ready. Drop some of the syrup mixture into the water. If it forms hard threads that crack when you try to squeeze it, you've hit hard crack stage. If it's still soft and a bit bendy, keep boiling the mixture and retest in cold water.
- Working very quickly, pour the hard candy mixture into your silicon molds.
- Sprinkle with glitter, then stir in with a lollipop stick or chopstick so it looks swirly.
- Allow to cool completely, then pop out of the molds.
- You can attach the lollipop sticks to the candy by using high heat on a low setting of a hairdryer.
- You can also attach the clear sparkly side of the lollipop onto the rainbow side with this same technique.
- Alternatively, you can just use your oven or toaster oven to attach the lollipop sticks. Set heat to 250 F and place either side of candy on a piece of foil. Allow to melt just enough to press the lollipop stick into the candy.
- Place the other side of the candy on top of the other and press together.
- When finished, the pops will have the high saturated rainbow side and the light pastel sparkly side.
- Hold them up to the light to really enjoy all their colours and sparkles. :)
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.