Making Recycled Glass Light Fixture Terrariums

Category Planters
The glass covers on light fixtures can be repurposed and used as terrarium planters. Whether you have some from old fixtures or have purchased new or used ones, the project information on this page will assist you in making recycled glass light fixture terrariums.

I live on a small island in the South Pacific, where we try our best to not throw items away that we can use again. A friend of mine gave me a set of glass light fixtures that they were throwing away. At first, I had the idea to turn them upside down and put candles in the bottom of them. After looking at the light fixtures I decided they would look wonderful as a terrarium for plants. It was easy to up-cycle these light fixtures and turn them in a beautiful terrarium that I could use to decorate my home with.

Total Time: 1 Hour

Yield: 1 terrarium per light fixture

• 1 glass light fixture
  • 1 medal or plastic screen
  • 30 rocks for drainage
  • planting soil
  • decorative items
  • bamboo
  • hot glue gun
  • old newspaper
  • wax paper
  • decorative rocks
  • bamboo skewers
  • dried moss
  • 6 plants

1. Cut the plastic or metal screen to fix in the bottom of the fixture to cover the hole.
  2. Add rocks to use as a drainage system. Fill the bottom up so that you have plenty of room to drain the water out of the bowl.
  3. Add the planting soil to the bowl and fill it almost to the top.
  4. I like to add the moss next. It makes it easier to arrange.
  5. Create your decorations. I am using a hot glue gun to make the rock walls that I will use to decorate the planter with.
  6. Add the hot glue to the decorative rocks and glue them in the shape that you want.
  7. Stack the rocks on top of each other until you get the desired size and shape you want to use in your terrarium.
  8. Now, glue some small pieces of the moss on the rocks to give it a different type of look. This adds to the design and the texture of the rocks in your terrarium.
  9. Place the rock sculptures inside the terrarium.
  10. Decorate the terrarium with your plants. You can add as many plants as you wish to the terrarium. Just keep in mind the size of the plants and how much they will grow. It is a good idea to keep them spaced out so that they can grow and fill up the space in the terrarium.

This is the cutest idea on how to use old globes that you may have lying around or don't have mates to them. Just lovely!!

Crafts Garden & Yard PlantersNovember 13, 2019
🍂
🎄