Making Yarn Pom Poms

Category Miscellaneous
Yarn pom poms are easy to make and can be used in various crafts. This page contains directions on making yarn pom poms.

Using a fork allows you to make pom poms quickly and evenly sized.

• yarn
  • fork
  • scissors

1. Lay the end of the yarn across the fork tines, holding it in place with your thumb. Begin wrapping the yarn around the fork.
  2. Continue wrapping the yarn around. The more you wrap it, the fuller the pom pom will be.
  3. Advertisement

4. Once you are done wrapping, cut it free of the skein.
  5. Cut a a piece of yarn, approximately 6 inches long. Poke one end in between the middle tines, below the wrapped yarn. Bring the other end in between the tines at the top. Bring the ends together and tie a very tight knot.
  6. Remove the pom pom from the fork. Bring the yarn ends around and tie them around the middle again.
  7. Using a pair of scissors, begin snipping through the loops of the pom pom. Cut of the tied ends. If necessary, trim any long ends so that it has a round appearance.
  8. Advertisement

With only your hand, yarn, and scissors you can make your own pom-poms. No extra tools required!

hand holding trimmed green pom pom

Cut out circles (in two identical rings, with holes in the middle) in card and put them together. Wind wool through the hole and around the circle until it is thickly covered.

Knifty Knitter pom maker. This is less than 5 dollars and comes with three sizes for you to make pom poms with. I made medium ones.

Also something I had fun with, I took one color and wound it around the middle, then wound another color across whole thing.

pom pom maker and pom

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Videos

Using a fork allows you to make pom poms quickly and evenly sized. View the full project here: Making a Pom Pom With a Fork

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Here's a really cute yarn pom-pom idea. My mother-in-law taught this to me so I wouldn't have to buy one of those pom pom makers from the store. (even though they are cheap!)

Materials

• Yarn (as many colors as you want)
  • scissors
  • Thin cardboard (such as a box from a 12 pack of soda)

That's all!

Instructions

Cut out two cardboard rings about the diameter you wish the pom-pom to be. Mark and cut out a smaller circle in the center of each piece of cardboard to thread your yarn through.

Hold the two pieces of cardboard together and wind the yarn around and around the ring until the cardboard is covered.

Tip: If you're using a multi-colored yarn, it may be hard to tell the difference between the top layer and bottom. I usually cut out another cardboard ring and place it in between, so I know when I'm finished with that second layer.

With a pair of sharp scissors, cut between the layers of cardboard through all the yarn around the outside edge until the circle is separated.

Thread a piece of yarn between the two rings and tie it into a tight knot to secure the center of the pom-pom. Leave enough yarn to attach your pom-pom to whatever it is you're putting it on.

Now, slip that cardboard off and your pom-pom is finished!

Tip: If you want your pom-pom to be more poofy, try taking a hair brush and fluffing it out a bit.

By Annie from Lakeside, OR

Answers:

Yarn Pom Poms

Hi Elsie, I see just had a look at a pom pom rug someone posted on this fab site. I asked how you make pom poms in a feedback then came across your instructions. Many thanks, I will now have a go when I get some wool. (08/31/2009)

By helen

Crafts MiscellaneousFebruary 1, 2013
🌻
😎
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Yarn-Pom-Poms-1.html