Making Yarn Pom Poms

Category Miscellaneous
Yarn pom poms are easy to make and can be used in various crafts. This guide contains directions on making yarn pom poms.

Using a fork allows you to make pom poms quickly and evenly sized.

• yarn
  • fork
  • scissors

1. Lay the end of the yarn across the fork tines, holding it in place with your thumb. Begin wrapping the yarn around the fork.
  2. Continue wrapping the yarn around. The more you wrap it, the fuller the pom pom will be.
  3. Ad

4. Once you are done wrapping, cut it free of the skein.
  5. Cut a a piece of yarn, approximately 6 inches long. Poke one end in between the middle tines, below the wrapped yarn. Bring the other end in between the tines at the top. Bring the ends together and tie a very tight knot.
  6. Ad

7. Remove the pom pom from the fork. Bring the yarn ends around and tie them around the middle again.
  8. Using a pair of scissors, begin snipping through the loops of the pom pom. Cut of the tied ends. If necessary, trim any long ends so that it has a round appearance.

With only your hand, yarn, and scissors you can make your own pom-poms. No extra tools required!

Total Time: A few minutes

Source: You tube inspired

• hand
  • yarn
  • scissors

1. Start by cutting a 10-12" length of yarn, set aside.
  2. Place the yarn over your fingers and hold in place with your thumb at the beginning.
  3. Start wrapping around your 4 fingers, making sure to keep them spread apart a bit so that you will have room to slide your yarn in there and tie off.
  4. Ad

5. I wrapped the yarn around my fingers 75 times. You may wrap as many fingers as you want, as many times as you want. Less fingers and fewer wraps will simply produce a smaller pom. Same with more. :)
  6. Now snip your yarn. Slide your 12" length under the wrapped yarn, palm facing up.
  7. Cross this length like you are starting a knot.
  8. Taking the length on the left, push through your fingers and flip your hand over. Cross your ends and pull as tightly as you can at this point.
  9. Carefully ease the entire pom off your fingers.
  10. Now cinch the ends tight and knot a couple of times.
  11. Slide your scissors underneath the loops and snip all around.
  12. A little wonky till you trim! :)
  13. Now it is trimmed, much better. Leave your knotted ends long to attach to booties or a hat. Or trim just like the rest!

Cut out circles (in two identical rings, with holes in the middle) in card and put them together. Wind wool through the hole and around the circle until it is thickly covered.

Knifty Knitter pom maker. This is less than 5 dollars and comes with three sizes for you to make pom poms with. I made medium ones. Also something I had fun with, I took one color and wound it around the middle, then wound another color across whole thing.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Videos

Using a fork allows you to make pom poms quickly and evenly sized. View the full project here: Making a Pom Pom With a Fork

Here's a really cute yarn pom-pom idea. My mother-in-law taught this to me so I wouldn't have to buy one of those pom pom makers from the store. (even though they are cheap!)

Materials

• Yarn (as many colors as you want)
  • scissors
  • Thin cardboard (such as a box from a 12 pack of soda)

That's all!

Instructions

Cut out two cardboard rings about the diameter you wish the pom-pom to be. Mark and cut out a smaller circle in the center of each piece of cardboard to thread your yarn through.

Hold the two pieces of cardboard together and wind the yarn around and around the ring until the cardboard is covered.

Tip: If you're using a multi-colored yarn, it may be hard to tell the difference between the top layer and bottom. I usually cut out another cardboard ring and place it in between, so I know when I'm finished with that second layer.

With a pair of sharp scissors, cut between the layers of cardboard through all the yarn around the outside edge until the circle is separated.

Thread a piece of yarn between the two rings and tie it into a tight knot to secure the center of the pom-pom. Leave enough yarn to attach your pom-pom to whatever it is you're putting it on.

Now, slip that cardboard off and your pom-pom is finished!

Tip: If you want your pom-pom to be more poofy, try taking a hair brush and fluffing it out a bit.

By Elsee from Lakeside, OR

Answers:

Yarn Pom Poms

Hi Elsie, I see just had a look at a pom pom rug someone posted on this fab site. I asked how you make pom poms in a feedback then came across your instructions. Many thanks, I will now have a go when I get some wool. (08/31/2009)

By irisheyes