Making Your Own Baby Food

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Dish of homemade carrot baby food. It is surrounded by fresh carrots and a ceramic bunny.My husband and I had our first child while he was (and is) still in school. We chose to make our own baby food. This was no small task, given that I work full time and he goes to school full time. But it was worth it!

I bought frozen veggies at my grocer when they were on sale at 10 for 10, or on sale fresh. I steamed them, which keeps most of the nutrients. I'd put the vegetables in a food processor or blender with a little cooking liquid and puree. (When he was very young and first being introduced to solids, I would then put through a strainer as well.) I adjusted the puree texture as my baby got older and had more teeth. I would freeze portions in ice cube trays.

I never used salt (it can ruin a baby's kidneys) or sugar, but after about 8 months I began using many of the herbs and spices that we use regularly in our home. As my son got older, I was able to introduce many more types of fruits and vegetables to him using this method than what is available in traditional store-bought baby food. As a result, my son eats many more types of fruits and vegetables than many children his age!

I also saved the jars from the few times I did buy baby food and began to use them to freeze portions for travel. Doing this saved us a great deal of money, and my son is healthier for having a wide variety of foods given to him.

I encourage any thrifty parent to purchase, borrow, or check out the book "Super Baby Food" as it gives many wonderful tips on frugal and healthy feeding for babies and young children.

Source: Super Baby Food (Ruth Yaron)

By Sarah from E. Lansing, MI

7 More Solutions

When making homemade baby food, I use our own homegrown veggies. I then cook the veggies a little till soft and puree it in the blender. Then I portion out servings in ice cube trays. Freeze till solid and pop into freezer bags for later use.

Making your own baby food is super easy, not to mention thrifty, and nutritious, too! I found a handheld drink mixer left over from my husband's "powershake" days.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 114 Posts

Since vegetables are in abundance right now, it's a great time to prepare homecooked food for your little ones. Prepare and cook whatever vegetables you have available, keeping in mind that additives are best not added to baby food.

When cooking is done, puree the vegetables and pour them into ice cube trays.

Save many dollars and feed your baby healthy food. When my children where babies I did not purchase baby food. Take the same food you prepare for your family, after it is cooked run it thru the blender.

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 390 Posts

Salt and sugar are never needed when making baby food. Omit these items, preferably at all times, in your baby's everyday meals!

Other spices such as cinnamon, garlic powder, pepper etc. may be introduced as early as 7 months with your pediatricians consult

I have some Gerber baby food plastic containers. Should they be reused for home-made baby food?

By MS Ashley

Answers

The few times I bought Gerber baby foods I reused those containers, especially because it helped with the portioning of the homemade baby food. But keep in mind, the lids do not seal, I wouldn't keep the food for too long.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

I would not. Rubbermaid, Tupoerware and other companies make small containers that seal completely and are freezer, dishwasher and microwave safe. They are inexpensive, too.

Answer this Question

This page contains homemade baby food recipes. Making your own baby food can be a rewarding experience for you and your baby. Not only can you save money by doing so, you can also control the ingredients, including using only organic fruits and vegetables.

Dish of homemade carrot baby food. It is surrounded by fresh carrots and a ceramic bunny.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Parenting General Parenting The Family KitchenDecember 20, 2016
🌻
😎
🎆
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Your-Own-Baby-Food-2.html