Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter

Category Knitting
A Knifty Knitter is an easy tool to make a knitted blanket. They come in many shapes for different projects. This is a guide about making a blanket with a Knifty Knitter.

I need instructions for making a blanket with the Knifty Knitter long looms.

By Liz from Cambridge, OH

Answers

Here is a link to a pattern for 44" x 70" afghan. It requires the 28" long loom that has 84 pegs:
http://www.lion  -afghan.html?r=1

I always go to youtube. Mickey is fantastic with loom knitting, on all different looms, he crochets also. Good luck.

I just got a Knifty Knitter round loom set on Saturday, and so far, I've made 2 hats. I'm going to attempt to make a scarf. Is there a way to make an easy afghan with the round loom set? I've been searching all over the internet and I can't find a pattern. I need something simple.

By Beth

Answers

The easiest way is to make a few strips all the same length and sew or crochet them together. If you can make a scarf you can make an afghan. An afghan is just a bunch of scarves (strips) sewn or crocheted together. On a piece of paper I keep a record of how many rows are in a finished strip and how many rows I've worked in the current strip. I have a friend who alternates colors every other row to make counting easier. In that case you don't have to cut the yarn every couple of rows, just carry it up the side of the strip. When you put the strips together, the yarn carried up the side can be hidden in the seam. Have fun making your afghan.

Also check the web site of the manufacturer of your knifty knitter. They may have free patterns.

Join this Yahoo group http://groups.y  _Knitting_Group/ they have all kinds of good ideas

I have the round knifty knitter and was wondering how I turn to avoid making a complete circle to make a blanket? I don't really understand the instructions and can't find anything online. Anyone have any simple instructions to make a blanket?

Thanks,
Winter from Red Deer, AB

Answers

By .Jan (Guest Post)

Mine has a switch on the side that moves up and down.Put switch in opposite direction and the machine stops at half way and goes bacwards instead of making a whole turn.This way it knits back and forth instead of a circle.

Hi,

Nothing to it. To make a square or rectangle, just stop one knob short of a complete circle, and then go back the way you came. If you were knitting clockwise, when you get to the 2nd to last knob, you'd just knit your way back counterclockwise. Just be sure to knit twice in your end stitch, of course, to keep the corner square. Great way to use up yarn.

I'm trying to make a panel for a blanket on the orange knifty knitter long loom; one side detaches so I'm just using one side. One side is straight, but the other side edge is what looks to me as shrinking or decreasing. I'm doing the same thing as the other side, at least I think I am. And the first row keeps curling up. I'm using a sort of stretchy yarn. But I want my blanket to look semi decent as it's a Christmas present for my daughter. Thanks.

By Juanna

Answers

The curling happens when using a stretchy yarn - when finished you'll just need to 'block' the project (wet and shape. Use rust-proof pins to hold it in shape as it dries, and yes this works with acrylic yarns as well as with wool or other natural fibres).

Looking at the photo you've posted, it looks to me as though you're wrapping tighter where the rows have gone narrow, OR that you're decreasing somehow.

Try unwrapping to the point it's the width you want, and then slowly rewrapping each peg with the same tension as you used previously. And be sure you're not decreasing accidentally at beginning, end, or middle of the row.

Pretty yarn, I hope you'll post a snap of the finished blanket:)

I am making blankets using panels made on my Knifty Knitter, but am not sure how to stitch together the panels to make a large blanket. Can someone help me please?

By Sherryl

Answers

I'd whipstitch, or slipstitch it together.

I am looking to learn how to make a baby blanket with my Knifty Knitter loom. Can someone help?

By Lisa from PA

Answers

Here is a link to a pattern for a baby blanket using a knifty knitter. You can find more patterns in the archives on this site:
http://www.prov  ect&idnum=40

I have a pattern for a baby blanket. It makes like a tunnel. How do you make just the panel?

By Lori

I want to make a blanket. Which Knifty Knitter do I get?

By taber from Baytown, TX

Answers:

Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter

I used the largest oval one that I had to make a blanket. (03/14/2010)

By Colleen Stuchal

Looking for a blanket pattern using the Knifty Knitter long loom.

Diane from Plover, WI

Answers:

Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter

I love making different things with my Knifty Knitter. I would just start knitting with it, and if you want to add a color, tie the new color on. I have never used a pattern for anything I make. I've done hats, scarves, baby blankets and lap blankets. (08/21/2008)

By Coll

Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter

I've made baby blankets on the knifty knitter with no curling. All you do is make the first three rows garter (knit one row purl one row then knit the last). Then on all the rest, make the beginning of the rows first 3 stitches, k1, p1, k1. This gives you a border around the blanket and it won't curl. I have also made these blankets with a crocheted scalloped edge. There are many yahoo groups for the KK, give them a try. Mari
P.S. Please excuse the photography. (08/21/2008)

By Anonymous

RE: Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter

Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter

It is really hard and frustrating at the beginning, but after a while, you start to get a hang of it and actually enjoy doing it! (11/26/2008)

By Maria

How do I make a blanket with the yellow Knifty Knitter? If I do this like I read and I hem, it still curls up. How do I fix that?

Jeannie from Morthport, Alabama

Answers:

Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter

I've not used the Knifty Knitters yet but I do use knitting machines and all the finished work has to be blocked to flatten the edges. You have to pin the item to a blocking board (fancy name for a foam covered board) in the shape it is to be finished. Do this while the item is wet and let it dry pinned in place or use a steamer to set the stitches. If you don't have a blocking board you can lay it on a sheet on a bed and pin through the layers and steam it there. I wouldn't lay a wet item on a bed that way unless you're pretty sure it will dry quickly. (11/09/2006)

By carla bledsoe

Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter

The blanket will always curl up. To prevent this, I crochet at least four inches on all sides. I use the shell stitch and this makes the edging look very elegant and lacy. (04/01/2008)

By Carolyn