Making a Bottle Cap Whistle
These easy to make whistles are an excellent recycling craft. They make great toys or maybe even party favors. This is a page about making a bottle cap whistle
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Save the earth and make some noise while you do it! Use two bottle caps and a soda can to create the cutest little whistle that actually works.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 whistle
Source: Check out this guy's video to watch it in action
- 2 bottle caps
- 1 soda/beer can
- wire cutters (optional)
- hot glue gun with glue
- Cut the top and bottom off your empty can. Cut down the can vertically so you have one large rectangular sheet.
- From the rectangular sheet, cut a long strip that is as wide as the tab from the can and as tall as the can when standing up. Now, cut a small rectangle as wide and tall as 2 can tabs next to each other.
- Wrap the little rectangle around the long strip. Leave 1/4 inch at the top. Snip the corners off at the top diagonally, then fold over. This is your whistle mouthpiece.
- Take the other end of the long strip and push it under the folded rectangle.
- Cut a little notch in the side of each of the bottle caps. When you put the two caps together, they form a round container with a rectangular hole. You can try with scissors, but I used wire cutters.
- Now put the aluminum whistle piece in one of the caps and adjust it with your fingers to make it fit with the whistle mouthpiece sticking out of the hole. Once it sits in there nicely, apply hot glue on the inside of the bottle cap. Affix the whistle in the cap.
- Now to make the noisemaker part of the whistle, cut the strip so it lines up with the top of the notch. Pull the excess scrap part out of the mouthpiece.
- Put hot glue in the other bottle cap and glue it on the other part of the whistle, making sure the cut-out notches align.
- Puff up the mouthpiece a bit so air can get through. I used a skewer.
- Blow! Make more! Enjoy. :)
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.