Making a Cardboard Kitty Cottage
Upcycle cardboard boxes to make this adorable kitty cottage. It's a great project for kids with a new and adventuresome kitten.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This cat cottage, which is made from a cardboard box features a chimney where you an dangle toys for your cat.
Total Time: Less than one hour
- 1 large cardboard box
- 1 oval or square tissue box
- pair of heavy scissors
- leftover scrapbook or wrapping paper
- adhesives, such as glue and tape
- Begin by cutting a hole in one end of the box to serve as the door, as shown.
- Close the right and left flaps as shown. Tape the left flap shut (but not the right one).
- Make a hole in what is to be the roof. The hole should be slightly smaller than the bottom of the tissue box. Cut off the top and bottom of the tissue box to make the chimney. Leave a little ledge around the bottom of the tissue box, as shown, so it can be firmly glued down. Decorate the box with paper and glue it onto the hole you made in the "roof."
- Now decorate the rest of the house. Your house has an awning and a porch or patio area. I used flowers cut from wrapping paper and "planted" them in paper pots. You can also make a fence, windows, balconies, or whatever you like. Just glue it on the box.
- To play: The chimney allows string toys to be dangled into the box. Open the front flap slightly to peek in a mousie toy.