Making a Cassette Tape Lamp
The nostalgic feel of this lamp makes it a fun addition to your decor or to give as a gift. This is a guide about making a cassette tape lamp
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
My husband recently turned 40 years old and I wanted to make him a present that captured some memories from his childhood. I saw some ideas for making a lamp out of cassette tapes and thought it was the perfect gift for him!
- 8 cassette tapes (preferably the ones with clear plastic)
- 1 sheet thick crafting foam
- E6000 glue
- crafting knife or scissors
- mini LED lights (battery operated)
- Run a line of glue along the side edge of one tape and a line of glue along the front edge of another tape. Allow the glue to sit for 2 minutes, then press the tapes together. See photo below. Note: You can use a cassette case as a square to ensure they are at a 90 degree angle.
- Glue a 3rd cassette tape in place, applying glue to both edges that will be attached. Allow the glue to set for 2 minutes then gently press the edges together. See photo below.
- Apply glue to the final two edges, then after glue has set for 2 minutes, attach them to form a square. Make any adjustments to square them up, then allow the glue to dry for 24-72 hours.
- Create a second square of cassette tapes, following the above steps. Note: If the tapes are new and you want to advance the tape, use a pen to move the tape. Or fast forward/rewind them in a cassette player.
- Apply glue to the bottom edge of one set of tapes and the top edge of the other set. Allow glue to sit for 2 minutes then gently stack them together. Allow glue to dry for 24-72 hours.
- Place the cassettes onto the foam and trace around it, then cut out the base with scissors or a crafting knife.
- Apply glue to the bottom of the cassettes and around the edge of the foam base. Allow glue to sit for 2 minutes.
- Adhere the base to the lamp and allow glue to dry. Place the LED lights into the lamp and enjoy!
May 17, 20160 found this helpful
Unsure what to do with your old cassette tapes. How about a cool and crafty lamp? Learn how to make it in this short video.