Making a Count-Up Calendar Box

Category Miscellaneous
Similar to an Advent calendar, this box allows you to count the days to a special event. This is a guide about count-up calendar box.

Everyone has celebrations and important dates that they need to remember. Sometimes the event on these dates is exciting and other times it is met with apprehension. This CountUP calendar fits both scenarios! You can make this craft for anyone who has an upcoming event, in order to further the enthusiasm or calm the dread. For example, if your child's birthday is 10 days away, you could count up to that date. It would create so much excitement for them and be kind of like a ten-day birthday celebration. Everyday they would get something new!

Okay, now imagine you have a family member, friend, or coworker who is going to need surgery soon. They have the surgery date and are stressed out about it. The CountUP calendar can be used the same way as for a birthday, but hopefully elicit a calming effect in the person needing the surgery. Every new day will bring positive thoughts, quotes, and prayers to remind them they are not alone in their struggle. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 1

Source: I got the idea from advent calendars I have seen online and in stores.

• 1 cardboard box (size depends on days you are using)
  • 1 pair of scissors
  • 1 box cutter
  • 1 roll of Scotch tape
  • 1 roll of double-sided tape
  • 1 permanent marker
  • wrapping paper
  • cardstock of different colors
  • hot glue gun
  • hot glue sticks
  • 1 ruler
  • 2oz party cups with lids

1. First, you need to know how deep to cut the bottom of the cardboard box. Position one of the party cups at the bottom of the box. Mark a line with a marker as your starting point.
  2. Use a ruler to draw a line from your starting point, all the way around the box.
  3. Use a box cutter or scissors to cut all around the line that you drew. I found that the easiest method was to start and finish the box with the box cutter, while using the scissors for the middle.
  4. Ad

5. Cover the box with wrapping paper, cardstock, scrapbook paper, or a combination of the three.
  6. Use a hot glue gun to glue down as many party cups as you need for your calendar.
  7. Ad

8. After the glue dries, fill each cup with candy, jewelry, Chap Stick, or any other little treasure you can think of that will fit. I also include Bible verses, positive notes, and inspirational quotes, which I write on small pieces of paper.
  9. If you want to give larger gifts, wrap them separately with the day you want them opened written on each one. Place a note in the cups that says, "Open day____". So if I wanted my friend to open her gift the 12th, I would put, "Open Day 12", in the 12 cup. And I would write, "Day 12" on the gift.
  10. Ad

11. Trace or draw circles out of cardstock that will fit the lids of the party cups.
  12. Cut out the circles and write your days on each one. If your cousin's birthday is on the 25th and it is now the 17th, the circles should be written for the 17th through the 25th.
  13. Glue the circles on the lids and place the lids on the cups.