Making a Crocheted Sugar Skull

Category Patterns
Sugar skulls are part of the traditional Mexican observance of All Souls Day, when families place them on the tombs of family members. This page offers an alternative representation of a sugar skull worked up in crochet yarn. It is a good project for a crafter having intermediate crochet skills. Instructions follow.

I made this for my grandson who loves skulls. It's pretty easy if you are at least an "intermediate skilled" crocheter. So let's get started!

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 1

Source: Seen lots on Pinterest

Link: http://crochetnirvana.weebly.com/blog/how-to-crochet-skulls#.

I didn't put together a photo of supplies. My bad. Sometimes when something is done, it was more of a "oh this will work better than that..." so often times, supply photos don't make sense anymore anyway. This was one of those time.

• 1 oz white yarn
  • size J hook
  • scissors
  • 5 yd scrap red yarn
  • 6 sq in scrap lace
  • 6 sq in cardboard
  • 1 stick hot glue
  • 1 oz red craft paint
  • 2 paint brushes
  • 1 oz homemade Mod Podge glue

1. To begin, you leave a 12" tail and then chain 14 and join in the beginning for a loop. Then chain another 14 and join in the first join. This gives you a figure 8 for the eyes.
  2. Once joined, you chain 18 singles around the first eye, then around the second. Now take that long tail and wrap it around the center of the eyes several times for stability and work in the tail and trim.
  3. Slip stitch into the next 7 stitches so you can work across the whole skull above the eyes. Make 14 singles across the top.
  4. Turn the hook, but don't chain 1. Make 12 singles across. Repeat for a row of ten, repeat for the last row of 8. Don't worry about how the little loops stick out at the beginning of the last 3 rows. The outside binding stitch will work those in.
  5. Advertisement

6. Tie off the tail and flip your work over. Now you are doing the nose and mouth. Count 7 back from the center of the eyes and insert your hook. Single crochet 4, skip 6 in the middle and chain 4. Then single crochet 4.
  7. Chain 1 and turn, making 12 singles in the previous 12 singles, enclosing the nose. Without chaining 1, turn and skip 1 sc. Slip stitch in the next 2, chain 4. This will count as your first treble. Make 4 more in the next 4 singles. Chain 4 and make slip stitch in the last stitch. This makes the teeth.
  8. When the teeth are formed, you can begin with a single crochet around the entire skull. This gives it a nice finished look.
  9. I laid the cardboard (insert from a mini calendar) out and drew a soft sketch of the skull. Then I painted it. You might want to either get better paint or not use a pen. I had to paint it several times. I got the glue (1 c. glue, 1/3 c. water) and spread it on the dried paint.
  10. I cut the scraps of lace to cover the eyes and nose. Then I glued them on and put glue on top of the lace too.
  11. Taking the scrap red yarn, make any flower you want. I also 'framed' the eyes with white and/or red yarn.
  12. Once the shape of the red background is done, cut out and hot glue the crocheted shape to the cardboard one. I suggest you go from the chin up gradually and don't "Overdo the Glue", esp' around the eyes. It won't take much and can ooze through the crochet. Glue on a hanger and you are done! N-JOY!
  13. Advertisement

I love sugar skulls-- nice work, Sandi!

Crafts Crochet PatternsDecember 24, 2019
🎉

Generated 2019-12-26 16:31:03 in 950 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️