Making a Dreamcatcher
The Chippewa natives originated the spider web-like craft traditionally hung from a baby's cradle board to hold and catch everything evil. This is a page about making a dreamcatcher
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here is an easy to make, beaded dreamcacher.
- 8 inch diameter hoop
- 25 yards cotton yarn
- 1 package beads large enough to string the cotton yarn through
- 1 needle
- Thread yarn through needle, placing it halfway between the ends.
- Tie the 2 ends of yarn together so you have a double strand of yarn.
- Use a slipknot to tie the knotted end of the yarn to the hoop. (Don't worry about the stray end of the knot - it'll be taken care of at the end.)
- Thread 3-4 beads, pull yarn tight, and knot on the opposite side of the hoop.
- Repeat step 3 ten times, or until the dreamcatcher's web pattern is pleasing to you.
- Do NOT cut the yarn after the final knot!
- Wrap the remaining yarn around the hoop until it is covered.
- Knot securely, then knot again 2 - 6 inches from the final knot. Cut off ends and hang your dream catcher over your bed to catch your dreams!
August 4, 20050 found this helpful
Thanks for the instructions....been wanting to do one but it looked so complicated but I think I can do this one :0)
By CDB (Guest Post)
August 16, 20050 found this helpful
Thanks for the nice feedback. Let me know how it works for you.
Add a nice decor touch to you room/home with a custom dreamcatcher. Don't have an embroidery hoop on hand? No problem, you can use plant wire or any sturdy gauge wire and then hand form the wire into a circular shape.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- t-shirt yarn
- plant wire
- wooden beads
- Hand form plant wire into a circle shape.
- Wrap the loose ends of the wire then secure in place with tape.
- Wrap entire circle hoop with t-shirt yarn.
- Now you are ready to create your freehand dreamcatcher design. I went in star directions and repeated until I got my desired creation.
- Using a piece of yarn, secure one end with a knot. Optional: tape tip of yarn to thread beads easier. Thread your choice of beads, I used wooden beads.
- At the bottom center tie the string of beads to the dreamcatcher. Cut off excess string.
- At the center top of the dreamcatcher, tie a yarn loop and cut off excess string. This will be for you to hang your dream catcher.
December 10, 20152 found this helpful
This is a page about making a paper plate dream catcher. Native American dream catchers are created using a circular frame, with webbing in the middle.
It is then adorned with feathers and beads. It is a craft, regularly made by non-native people, for use as a decoration.