Making a Dried Banana Leaves Candleholder

Category Decorations
Dried banana leaves can be used in a number of craft projects. This is a guide about making a dried banana leaves candleholder.

My goddaughter was spending the Christmas vacation with me and it rained every day. She wanted to do a few craft projects to pass the time. So I looked around the house to see what I could find. I had a yogurt machine that had broken, but I kept the glass jars. We decided to use dried banana leaves and decorate the jars to make a candleholder.

Total Time: 1 1/2 hours

Yield: 1 candleholder

• 3 dried banana leaves
  • 1 yd string
  • bottle of white glue
  • scissors
  • 1 hair dryer
  • 1 yd decorative ribbons
  • 1 glass jar
  • 1 candle
  • 1 paint brush

1. Take the banana leaves and strip them off the center stem. You want to make long pieces that are about 2 to 3 inches wide.
  2. Tie your first piece of string around the upper lip of your jar. Trim and cut the ends of the string with your scissors.
  3. Take one piece of the torn up banana leaf, fold it in half and feed it under the string. You'll want the fold of the banana leaf to lay under the string.
  4. Ad

5. Continue feeding the banana leaves under the string until you have covered the complete jar. The leaves can overlap in places.
  6. Apply a generous amount of white glue over the string and on top of the banana leaves.
  7. Fold the bottom half of the banana leaves up.
  8. Hold the leaves in place and use a hair dryer to dry the glue.
  9. Tie a second string under your first layer of banana leaves.
  10. Repeat the process of adding the banana leaves under your string.
  11. Continue placing a string under each completed roll until you reach the bottom of your jar.
  12. Place a small candle in the bottom of the jar and light the candle.

That's wild. I love it. :)

Thank you so much. My God daughter had fun with her cousin to make these.

I enjoyed helping them and it is a great craft project.