Making a Fall Fabric Wall Hanging
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 163 Posts
September 19, 2017
A really cute easy scroll for fall. You can use these same methods for other sayings or patterns. I think it is so versatile you could make and give them as gifts. Easy to make, but yet pretty when finished.
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1/4 yd cloth
- piece of cardboard for the pattern
- glue stick
- acrylic paint, in your choice of colors
- chopstick or small wooden rod @ 8 inches long
- light box
- paint brush
- 8 pins
- 1 piece newspaper
- about 8 inches twine or ribbon
- skinny tip black marker
- Trace the size you want for the scroll, allowing for a quarter inch on all four sides. You can use a piece of cardboard or anything you are able to trace along the edges.
- Pin and cut out. To cut out multiple pieces make sure you have pinned through as many layers as you need.
- Iron the pieces of cloth.
- Iron over about 1/4 inch on all 4 sides, it does not have to be exact.
- Fold out the sides and use a glue stick on the inside half of the fold.
- Gently turn the side back inwards to make a permanent fold. Do this on the other side as well. Iron so it is flat.
- On each end you will be mitering the edges. Place a little glue on the inner edge of the corer and fold into itself.
- Using the glue stick, glue the edge of the rest of the material and fold inwards. Iron.
- Put glue on the inside edge of one end. Lay your rod or chopstick in the fabric and fold over just enough to hold it in place. Glue it down and iron up close to the rod.
- Place your stencil on a light box. Center onto the fabric. Trace your pattern with a pencil.
- Choose your paint. I used orange and yellow. Using a small paintbrush I painted my words and any other work on, one color at a time and allowed them to dry. I added in some leaves and painted them and allowed them to dry.
- I cut a 8 inch piece of twine and secured it with a knot on both ends. I used a fine tip marker and made the lines in the leaves to look like veins. It is ready to hang.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.