Making a Fascinator Hat

Category Fabric
Ever since the royal wedding these bold head pieces have been quite the craze. This guide is about making a fascinator hat.

Ever since the Royal Wedding the big craze for the 'Fascinator" has been going on. Dainty, bold, or simple this beautiful headpiece will make you the "life of the party" or the "belle of the ball." Easy to make using very few materials this beautiful headpiece can be worn for any occasion. Enjoy the compliments you get as you walk into a party wearing the luxurious style of the Royal English.

Approximate Time: 45 minutes

Instructions:

1. From the tissue paper cut out 23 round circles. I folded each sheet until it had enough room for one 4 inch circle then I cut it out. They do not need to be perfect.

2. Take your circles one at a time and fold in half then squish the bottoms together.

3. Spread a little and add a touch of white glue to the white coaster. Begin on the outside and glue them down until you have completed the entire circle.

4. Add glue to the coaster for the second layer and continue as you did with the first one. Complete the coaster with the round tissue paper disks until the entire coaster is colored.

5. Next turn over the circle and take the net tulle and begin gluing it down with the hot glue leaving a pleat as you go. Use a toothpick to help you pleat it.

6. Do this until you have completed the entire circle. When you get to the beginning overlap your material so you can't see it.

7. Find the ends of the finished net tulle and make sure it is in the back. Glue the barrette to the middle of the back of the circle so it doesn't show the raw ends of the net tulle.

8. Fluff your flower on the opposite side and inspect for any "glue hairs" and remove them.

9. Now you have a beautiful English Fascinator to wear to special occasions.

Suggestions: You can also use more of the tulle to make a veil over the face if you plan to use it in a wedding. Use a silk flower instead of the paper circles for more sophistication. If you don't have white coasters just cut a 4 inch circle out of cardboard.

By GEM from VA

I was going to a vaudeville-themed costume event and needed a little extra something to dress up the outfit I had pulled together from what I had in my closet. I decided a fascinator would be just the thing.

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 1

• alligator style hair clip with attached feathers
  • fanned feather decoration
  • loose feathers
  • black mesh fabric for veil
  • ribbon with dangling beads
  • bead chain ribbon
  • small black beads
  • hot glue gun
  • stick pin (for directing glue)

1. First I cut the veil fabric to the desired width and scrunched up one end to fit the size of the feather hair clip. I glued the veil to the feather clip using a hot glue gun. After fumbling a bit and getting a small burn, I found that a sewing pin was perfect for pressing the veil into the glue without burning my fingers. Glue white fan behind veil to "sandwich" it in.
  2. Glue beaded strands to the back of the white fan so they go the opposite direction of the veil (and will hang down the hair in back)
  3. Glue colored or decorative feathers to the clip to fluff it up.
  4. Cut small sections of beaded ribbon and glue in alternating directions onto the clip (this will hide the feather ends and tie everything together.
  5. Sew small beads onto the veil using a random pattern.