Making a Spring Hat and Butterfly Door Hanging

Category Decorations
An inexpensive spring straw hat can be used as the base for making a pretty hanging for your door or wall. Follow the instructions in this guide for making a spring hat and butterfly door hanging.

With a Dollar Tree hat, buttons, lace ribbon, and mini doilies, you can make this. And it looks so pretty on your door!

Total Time: 2-3 hours

Yield: 1

• 1 Dollar Tree hat ($1.00)
  • 7 buttons ($.25)
  • 10 mini doilies ($5.00)
  • 5 ft crochet thread ($.10)
  • 6 ribbon bows ($.25)
  • 2 ft lace ($.10)
  • 1 darning needle
  • scissors
  • 1 Stick hot glue ($.10)

1. I started out with an idea and went from there. So I cut the ribbon from the hat, and gathered my doilies and other supplies.
  2. I wanted the doilies to be the same style, but that didn't work. Also, I wish I had not put the pinks so close together, but live and learn. Once I knew all 10 of them would work, I glued them to the underside of the brim, about "mid doily".
  3. I wanted to represent all the spring colors, but only had 1 green and all the other colors had a twin, so I put it on the top.
  4. Once the glue cooled, I found 6 perfect little yellow ribbons and attached them, adding buttons.
  5. I realized the doilies were going to "flop" over on the top of the hat. So, I decided to just draw up the centers. That is when I realized they looked like butterflies! What a cool "discovery"! I initially used thread and a needle till I switched over to crochet thread.
  6. I used double crochet thread for each and then once cinched, I trimmed the thread to look like the antennae.
  7. Next came button on the top and the lace. I wanted to crochet a band but sometimes the body doesn't have the 'umph' to do what the mind wants to. I still think it came out really cute. N-JOY!!

Great job Sandi. Perfect for Spring :) So beautiful!

Nice job Sandi - very pretty and just in time for Spring.
I love refreshing items on my doors.

This looks like a "movie watching" project.
Now where is my lap table?

Aren't you sweet! Thanks. Yes, as long as you sit close enough to plug in your glue gun!!