Making a Foam Pumpkin Faux Cactus
This attractive faux cactus begins with a foam pumpkin. Add some paint, flowers, and large headed pins and you too can make a personalized floral decoration for your home or to give as a gift. This is a guide about making a foam pumpkin faux cactus.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Who would guess that this awesome cactus is actually made out of a foam pumpkin? With a few simple supplies, you can make this faux cactus to enjoy all year!
- 6 inch foam pumpkin
- light green acrylic paint
- dark green acrylic paint
- paint brushes
- white headed pins
- fake flowers
- hot glue gun
- clay pot
- clear coat spray paint
- Start by painting the pumpkin with the light green paint. Allow paint to dry.
- Add additional coats of paint as needed, allowing each coat to dry completely.
- Using a fine tipped paint brush and dark green paint, paint lines along the grooves in the pumpkin.
- Spray the pumpkin with clear coat. I applied 3 coats.
- Remove the flowers from the stem and then cut off the excess plastic at the base of the flower. See photo below.
- Apply hot glue to the back of the flower and attach it to the side of the stem.
- Continue attaching the flowers around the stem and then place one on the top of the stem.
- Add the pins to the pumpkin, for the spines of the cactus. Stagger them for a more realistic look.
- Work your way around the pumpkin until all of the spines are in place.
- Place the cactus into the pot and enjoy!
September 26, 20171 found this helpful
Create this cute faux cactus by recycling a foam pumpkin. Learn how to make it in this short video.