Making a Hula Hoop Hat
Weave a hat using an extra small hula hoop and t-shirts. It's a fun way to recycle t-shirts.
Total Time: 1/2 hr
- 1 extra small hula hoop 20.5 inches (Dollar Tree) ($1.00)
- 2 small or medium tshirts
- Get two t-shirts and cut 1 inch strands across horizontally up to sleeve corner. Leave them as loops.
- Get your Hula Hoop and wrap stands around it. It doesn't matter the amount of strands. Just leave equal space in between. Put your fingers between the strands, close your hand, and center the strands.
- Use other colored shirt strands and put one loop strand underneath all of the above. Run the loop over and under to create a pull knot. Don't "tie" a knot.
- Run the strand over and under other tshirt strands again and again until there are two rows. When you need to connect more strands just do so with the over and under pull method.
- After that you will begin to twist strands to create a tighter weave. Open, overlap, and run other strand through.
- Keep doing that until it becomes too tight to run any more strands. Tie a final knot.
- One by one, cut and tie the thread ends, disconnecting them from the Hula Hoop. Cut again leaving about 2 inches and tie a double knot.
- Once completed you can put the hat on a doll, baby, stuffed animal, or pet ! ;)
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.