Making a Stencil

Category Stenciling
Stencils are used in a variety of crafts. Making your own can not only save you money, but allow you to create unique designs. This is a guide about making a stencil.

Thick Plastic from Bacon Packages

To make a permanent, strong stencil, save the hard clear plastic that comes out of bacon. Wash it, and draw your design on it and use an exact-o knife to cut it out. It is very durable and holds up well.

By Mary

Milk Jugs

Plastic milk jugs work well for making durable stencils. Be careful when cutting the plastic.

By Diamondee

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I want to stencil words and phrases and my walls but, I'm not sure how to do this. Should I make my own stenils? Any suggestions or advice?

Answers

It might be easier and less costly to use a projector to transfer the words to the walls, then you could trace and fill in with color.

avalable at craft and quilt shops. quiltsonline.com has one.

By Claudia (Guest Post)

The projector idea is great and eliminates the need for a stencil. But if you decide to go with a stencil, there is a large selection in craft stores or you can use the transparency film used for overhead projectors, found at places like Staples or Office Depot.

I agree - an overhead projector would work fine. Perhaps you can borrow one from work, or a school - instead of buying something you may use only once. Projecting them also means you wont have to worry about cutting the stencils and having the letters look funny. You can use elegant fonts and have fun with it.

By Dave (Guest Post)

Why do u need a projecter, least u can use a stencil more than once, and a projecter is very costly""

By Susan (Guest Post)

I saw on a show on tv where you place the stencil on the wall and paint in white glue over the stencil. Let it dry and then paint your wall or if using wood then stain.

Where the glue is, it will not let the paint adhere and so your statement comes off one color and the wall color another.. anyone ever try this? I suppose it is like using wax for similar ideas.

By rick. (Guest Post)

For my kitchen cabinets where can I buy stencils?

How can I make some kind of stencil or traceable flamingo? I would like to do some kind of pattern on stretched canvas? Any ideas?

By PATRICK from Charlotte, NC

Answers

If you cut the stencil from freezer paper, you can then iron it onto your cloth. Good luck!

Go to google, type in template of flamingo. Print. Sewing shops/fabric warehouses have an art pen that you trace your photo what you want, then iron it on where you want it to go.

Easy.