Making Stenciled Artwork

Category Miscellaneous
Stencils can be purchased and then used in crafts, decorating furniture, etc. If you wish you can also make your own stencil for that special project you are working on.

Do you subscribe to any magazines? I received a San Diego Home/Garden Lifestyle magazine and they have beautiful photos in it. The front and back cover of this magazine is printed on quality glossy paper. I wanted to recycle the back photo, so I turned this into wall art for display. I like to switch up my home decor and this is my current piece I have on the wall. What's great about this project is that - it is free and can be made with supplies you have at home.

You can apply this same concept to other words, like a name, phrase (married, engaged, hope, love, blessed, etc.), number, etc. and do this to a different picture or as a collage to make the word/phrase/number pop out!

Total Time: 30 minutes

• magazine
  • ruler
  • X-acto knife
  • scissors
  • printer
  • glue stick
  • picture frame
  • cardstock paper
  • clips

1. Go on Microsoft Word, or any processing program and type out the phrase/word you would like to cut out. I wanted HOME as mine so I printed that out (or you could draw/freehand cut your words out yourself if you'd like.)
  2. Ad

3. Clip your word paper (home) to your cardstock paper.
  4. Since my letters were mostly straight, you can use a ruler as a guide to help you cut them out with an X-acto knife. I was not able to completely cut through the print out and the cardstock. So where the cardstock was only scored I traced over the initial cut.
  5. Once traced, you may have to go over and carefully cut to remove each letter. Now your template is completed.
  6. Flip through your magazine and by trial/error test to decide which image you would like best paired with your word. Here are some examples:
  7. Ultimately, I went with the back cover. Cut it out larger than your word and glue.
  8. Make sure your paper fits your frame, if not cut to size and it's ready to frame!
  9. Ad

Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 13, 2019
📓
🌻
🎂