Making Stenciled Gift Wrap

Making your own stenciled gift wrap is a great way to customize your gifts. This is a guide about stenciled gift wrap.

Need budget friendly wrapping paper this holiday season? You can make your own wrapping paper by recycling items you already have at home, not only will it be thoughtful, but it'll be one of a kind!

This is an example of a gift I wrapped with a brown lunch paper bag that was given to me when I bought wine at Sprouts. The stencil was made from an online order of holiday cards from Shutterfly and the rest of the supplies I already had at home.

You can recreate this concept not only for the holidays, but for any occasion. For example, make a stencil of a balloon when it's a birthday present, or anything you can draw and cut out from the stencil paper.

Total Time: 20 minutes

• thin cardboard
  • brown paper bag
  • ruler
  • pen
  • X-acto knife
  • tape
  • stamp inkpad
  • sponge brush
  • glue stick

1. Draw your stencil - I drew a Christmas tree (you can draw anything you'd like) and cut out with an eX-acto knife.
  2. Recycle brown lunch bag and wrap gift.
  3. Place tree stencil in the center of the wrapped gift. I used a glue stick as a guide to hold down the tree in place.
  4. Dab sponge onto ink pad and dab around stencil to create a nice outline. Ready to tie a bow or add any other finishing touches to the gift.

Christmas is traditionally family time, and here is a project that you and your child can do together. Using cookie cutters with Christmas shapes as your inspiration, make your own stencils from an old sheet of X-ray film....