Making a Valentine Gift Jar
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
January 21, 2020
Valentine's Day is approaching and this is the time of the year that we give flowers or chocolates to the ones we love. Here is a cute idea to make a special gift jar and add your favorite chocolates or other homemade goodies to the jar. This is a simple project to make and the kids can make one for their teachers.
Total Time: 3 to 4 Hours
Yield: 1 Gift Jar
- 1 jar with lid
- white acrylic paint
- red, pink, and green acrylic paint
- hot glue and glue gun
- green rafia
- glitter gel
- decorative pink rocks
- Remove the lid from your jar. You can find canister jars at most Dollar stores around or you can make this with a Mason jar or any other jar you have on hand. Prime the jar with a coat of white acrylic paint. This helps the second coat of paint stick to the jar better. Use a sponge when applying the paint. You get a more even coat of paint on the jar.
- Apply the second coat of paint to the jar. If you don't have pink you can use a little bit of red paint mixed in with your white paint. Add a small amount of red paint at a time to get the color you want. Use a sponge to apply the paint to the jar.
- After the paint has dried, draw your design on the jar. You can make any design you wish on the jar. I decided to make a bouquet of heart flowers on my jar.
- Choose your colors and paint the design on the jar. Allow the paint to dry before applying a coat of glitter gel. I am using a silver glitter gel on mine, but you can use a gold color if you choose.
- After the glitter gel has dried, apply a coat of varnish to the jar. This protects the jar and makes it possible for a person to get the jar wet.
- Use your hot glue gun to glue the green raffia around the neck of the jar and the lid. I wrapped mine twice around each.
- I have a lid that can be opened up. Open the lid and add your colored rocks. You can choose to add candy or whatever else you want to the inside of the lid. When it is filled, place the lid on the jar. Now fill the jar with goodies and sweets. You can create a small card to attach to the jar.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.