Making a Water Filter for a Coffee Maker

Category Miscellaneous
Coffee Maker
Some coffee makers have build-in water filters often utilizing charcoal. They can be pricey. This is a guide about making a water filter for a coffee maker.

My coffee maker has a replaceable water filter. The manufacturer wants $14.95 for two of them. All they are is a small bag of charcoal, or that's what it looks like to me. Anyone out there make their own water filters out of charcoal?

We have our own water distiller and it has a small charcoal filter in it and I ran into the same problem with the filters being so expensive. I found out the top came easily off the filter and had probably the same charcoal you are talking about. I found that they sell the charcoal in water conditioning stores. I paid @ 5.00 for a container that will last at least a year. Quite a savings. I don't know what the bags you are talking about, but I'm sure you could refill them or make some. Call a few stores in your area, for the charcoal.

Good Luck

It's most likely activated carbon, which is the same as activated charcoal. For your purpose, it will have to be food-grade. A water-conditioning store sounds like the best place to find it.

You might could find the activated charcoal in pet supply stores, where it is used in aquariums.

We have an excellent Cussinart coffee maker. It is probably 7 years old, and came with a charcoal filter. The charcoal needs to be replaced. Where and how do you buy a small amount of charcoal? I plan to wrap it with a coffee paper filter.

By Lois B.