Making an Adjustable Ribbon Bookmark
This cleverly designed bookmark adjusts to a variety of book sizes. This is a page about making an adjustable ribbon bookmark
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Never lose your page again, with this awesome bookmark! It is easily customizable and perfect for both kids and adults.
- wide ribbon
- 1/8 wide elastic
- sewing machine
- lighter, optional
- Calculate the length of ribbon needed by measuring around the cover of the book, with a few pages included. Double the amount and cut the ribbon. Use a lighter to singe the ribbon ends. Then pin the ends, right sides together, and sew with a 1/4" seam.
- Fold the ribbon seam ends flat and sew in place.
- Move the seam to the center of the ribbon loop and sew the button on at one end. Then sew across the other end (about 1/4" from the edge) and run the elastic through the end.
- Test fit the bookmark onto your book and knot the elastic at the appropriate length, to wrap around the button. NOTE: Be sure to account for the amount of stretch required for the bookmark to be used towards the end of the book, when it will need to wrap around more pages.
- Cut off the excess elastic and singe the ends with a lighter. Then pull the elastic so that the knot is hidden inside the pocket.
- The bookmark is all finished and ready to use!
- TIP: For the thicker books or smaller (pocket sized) books you can add a second button and make the elastic loop longer so that it is more adjustable the further you are in the book.
When I toss my notebooks in my bag sometimes the pages get caught on something. I like having this ribbon bookmark on, so my notebook doesn't open.
My ribbon bookmark is for my composition notebook measuring 9.75" x 7.5".