Maple Apple Pork Japanese Curry
My friends constantly ask me to make two of my dishes: maple apple pork, and Japanese curry. I thought to myself, "Why not try turning them into one dish?" I did it, and it was amazing! The maple and apple really tone down the heat of the spicy curry, and goes phenomenally well with the tender cuts of pork. This goes great on a bed of Japanese rice, topped with a large cooling dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
I buy my curry box mix at the Asian market for quite cheap. I've added a link for one on Amazon if you cannot find one in-store.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
- 2-3 potatoes, chopped
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb boneless diced pork
- 1 Tbsp grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 package (4.9 ounce) curry sauce mix blocks
- 4 cups water
- Japanese rice and plain yogurt for serving
Read More or Comment...
- Add a bit of oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Dump in all the veggies and apples. Cook, stirring often, for about 7 minutes.
- Make a well in the middle and add the diced pork. Cook until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add ginger. Cook, stirring for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in maple syrup.
- Add the onion powder, chili powder, and curry powder. Mix very well. Add the 4 cups of water and bring to a boil, then cover and lower to a simmer. Cook about 15 minutes, until fork pricked into potato goes in smoothly.
- Turn off heat. Chop the curry sauce blocks into small pieces then stir into pot.
- Bring back up to medium-low heat and cook another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper, if necessary. If you want it a bit sweeter, add a bit more maple.
- Serve on top of hot Japanese rice. Add a dollop of plain yogurt on top, if desired.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.