Maple Sausage Stuffed Waffles
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
February 28, 2020
I love having maple breakfast sausages with my waffles in the morning. Here, I tried cooking the sausages first, then added them to my homemade waffle batter. The flavours and texture were perfect! Because of the strong maple flavour from the sausage, I added a bit of powdered sugar on top in lieu of using syrup. This kept the waffles crisp, and allowed for the waffles' flavours to come through.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 large waffles
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 ounces maple sausage
- powdered sugar to serve
- Add the vinegar to the milk and allow to sit for 5 minutes to curdle. This will be your buttermilk.
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda together in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg in another bowl, then mix in the buttermilk. Beat in tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Set aside to rest.
- Crumble up the maple sausage and cook over medium-high heat until cooked through.
- Add the sausage meat and its drippings into the waffle batter. Mix well.
- Heat up waffle iron. Add batter. Press down the lid.
- Cook until browned on both sides. Sift powdered sugar on top and serve immediately. These can be frozen and reheated.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.