Marbling Paper

Category Paper

Can I use corn flour to make the size for marbling? I can't find cornstarch and the other methods are not in my price range at the minute. I need to know for my art project.

By Lydia

I am an art educator( art teacher) and I marble paper w shaving cream ( Dollar tree) and liquid watercolor or food coloring or koolaid. I spray a layer of shaving cream in a tray, pizza pan something like that. Then drizzle the liquid watercolor, or food coloring ( pour several drops in a half cup and add the rest water and stir). If its not as bright as you would like add more drops. If you come across Neon food coloring snatch up several bottles. They can be hard to come by. Now w Thanksgiving and lots of baking happening, you should be able to find them. Take a wide tooth comb after drizzling the color, and wiggle the comb through the shaving cream and color. Fluorescent acrylic paints thinned and drizzle keeps everyone ohhhing and ahhhhhing! Prepare your paper before hand. I use a good quality construction paper and cut the paper according to the project.

Lay the paper on top of the surface tapping carefully to make sure the surface of the paper touches the mixture. Have lots of newspapers handy and when you have the entire surface of the paper touching, pull the paper out of the tray and gently pull the paper off and while on the newspaper gently scrap the shaving cream off the paper. I saw someone use a squeegee (We don't have money like that) so we use a ruler. Gently drag the ruler across the surface to remove the shaving cream. We reuse the mix adding more color and or shaving cream. Have gloves handy to wear while creating these sheets. We don't use gloves we are artists! In school students write their name and teacher code on the back of the paper. Its a messy project but we all love it! We were just talking about this project today. Enjoy!

According to this article, the best, easiest and cheapest method is to use shaving cream.