Matchstick Craft Ideas

Category Woodworking
Cross Matchstick Craft
Matchsticks have long been used to make a wide variety of crafts. This is a guide about matchstick craft ideas.

Does anyone have any ideas for making things from burnt matchsticks? I made a cross with some and that turned out wonderful. Any suggestions? I remember when I was a little girl my uncle made lamps and coffee table tops with them. He has passed away and I would love to find some of these patterns. Thanks in advance for your help.

By Busdrivr from Clemmons, NC

We have a matchstick open bible on pedestal and an uplifting bible verse is painted on it and then painted over with semi gloss polyurethane. This was given to us and it's quite a conversation piece in our home.

Search for"crafts using burnt matchsticks"good luck.

Your uncle was making "Tramp Art" and it's highly collectible now. There are several websites devoted to this fabulous art form.

I met a man who learned his craft while he was in Levenworth Pen. He made jewelry boxes using cardboard cigar boxes, which he would cut up and make drawers, doors,etc, as well as from 1 layer to 4 or 5 tiered boxes, then glue his burnt match sticks to it, add legs, or felt on bottom and shellac or varnish - this was back in the days before the poly stuff

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I am Mr. Bill and I have been building craft items out of matchsticks since the early 50's. I make all kinds of crafts from crosses to trains. This craft began back when I was a boy and my dad had a truck stop. I was assigned the job of cleaning the ash trays. Well I started playing with the matchsticks and my mother got me some glue and I started building things. Since that time, I have built thousands of different craft items.

By Billy from Dallas, TX

Heart with cross in center.

Comment Like this photo? 13