Mock Potato Salad Recipe

Category Salads
You can make a tasty variation on potato salad using such substitutes as cauliflower, for a low carb version, or crackers for a retro taste. This is a guide about mock potato salad recipe.

Does anyone know of a recipe for mock potato salad made with bread. I tried recipe books and the internet and all I found was mock potato salad with cauliflower. Thank you for your time.

By gloria from Spokane, WA

Answers

I don't know of such using bread but wanted to let you know the mock potato salad, as well as the mock mashed potatoes, using cauliflower are really good - and if you don't tell anyone, most won't know the difference! Good Luck

I used to make cauliflower salad for my diabetic mother all the time. It never raised her blood sugar like potato salad did. My younger brother, who was visiting our Mom, thought it was the best "potato salad" he had ever tasted. Both my husband and I like it better also as it has a much lighter feel and taste than potato salad. I used a standard potato salad recipe, substituting only cauliflower for the potatoes.

This is a great low-cal salad.

• 1 head cauliflower
  • 3 stalks, celery, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 Tbsp. pickle relish
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise

Directions:

Cook whole cauliflower as desired until tender. Chill. Break cauliflower into pieces; place in large bowl. Add chopped celery, green pepper, and remaining ingredients; mix well. Chill until serving time.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Mock Potato Salad

I have used a mock potato salad when I was on a low carb diet. When I boil my cauliflower, I add a little crab boil to it, also use spicy brown mustard. It taste just like my potato salad. I've fooled a lot of people with the taste. (04/08/2009)

By darlooney

Does anyone have a recipe for a mock potato salad made with saltines? I heard it was popular back when we used to make apple pie with Ritz crackers.

Thanks,
Betty from Slate Hill, NY

Answers:

Mock Potato Salad

I don't know of a recipe with saltines, but my friend makes mock potato salad using cooked cauliflower in place of potatoes to make it lower in calories. (05/08/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Mock Potato Salad

I run a food pantry and am involved with the local food bank which is the main source of our food. We are more likely to have potatoes to share than saltines. I would think that saltines are what you put peanut butter on. Either the subscriber is just curious or she needs to be encouraged to look around for her local food pantry. Good luck. (05/09/2007)

By Barbara

Potato Salad Without Potatoes (Mock Potato Salad)

Here is one I found on the net

Ingredients

• 4 stay-fresh bags saltine crackers
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 cup onions, chopped
  • 1 cup sweet relish or sweet pickles, chopped
  • 1 cup dill relish or dill pickles, chopped
  • salad dressing (not mayonnaise)
  • 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • Louisiana hot sauce, to taste
  • 1 cup and more pimento olives, chopped
  • 1 cup black olives, chopped
  • 1 cup green onions (optional)

Instructions

Crumble crackers and mix in all ingredients in a large bowl. Add salad dressing to the desired consistency. If you serve the next day, you might have to add more salad dressing because the crackers drink up all those tasty juices.

Credits: From: Justin Wilson Gourmet and Gourmand Cookbook (Pelican Publishing) (05/09/2007)

By WIsgal

Mock Potato Salad

Also known as "cracker salad." You can use your favorite recipe for potato salad and use crackers instead of the potatoes. My aunt brought one of these salads for our Christmas dinner and I didn't care for it, but I also don't like her potato salad either! LOL! I've been thinking about making one of my own with my own recipe for potato salad just to see if mine would be better. Try it, what have you got to lose?

(05/10/2007)

By Shelly

Mock Potato Salad

I've mashed cauliflower to imitate mashed potatoes, but never thought to try it in a salad. Thanks Persnickety, I'm going to try that. (05/10/2007)

By Lynn

Mock Potato Salad

I have always been puzzled by the recipe for "mock apple pie" on the back of the Ritz cracker box, and now I find out you can make potato salad from crackers as well. Why? Neither apples or potatoes are particularly expensive. In fact, a box of Ritz crackers may actually cost more than a few apples! Bu if you like these "mock" recipes, go for it! I do like the mock potato salad recipe using cauliflower. Now that sounds good! (05/14/2007)

By Mary

Mock Potato Salad

Make your favorite potato salad and use crackers in the place of potatoes! I's just that easy. My aunt brought some of this for Christmas last year and it was great! The Mock Apple Pie back in the 70s was also very good! It amazed me that you could make crackers taste like apples. LOL! Actually, it's the spices you use that do the trick. (09/18/2007)

By Shelly