Moravian Cookie Recipes

Category Cookies

If you like the flavor of ginger, you will love these super thin spicy cookies. This page contains Moravian cookie recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

This is one of my favorite cookie recipes. You will love it too if you love the taste of ginger cookies or ginger bread. It was a big hit with my co-workers at the office and a hot item at our bake sales. When I retired, my office mate gave me a baker's roller from Pampered Chef knowing I would use it making these cookies.

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. ginger
  • 3/4 tsp. cloves
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
  • dash of salt
  • 3/4 tsp. soda
  • 3 3/4 cups plain flour (sift before measuring)

Directions:

Place the butter and molasses in a saucepan and heat until butter is melted.

Mix sugar and spices, salt and soda together and then add to the molasses and butter. Stir well. Add the flour gradually, mixing well after each addition.

Refrigerate and then set out the day you want to bake them. Let the dough come to room temperature.

Preheat the cookie sheet and spray with butter flavored cooking spray. Make balls and press them onto the warm baking sheet. Pat down with a fork until desired thickness. Or you can roll them and cut with cookie cutter.

Bake 6-7 minutes at 350 degrees F. I use an insulated cookie sheet so baking time can vary. Remove with spatula and transfer to cooling rack.

Source: This recipe is from a Moravian cookbook my co-worker had. I have been baking them for about 20 years.

By Betty from NC

I'm sad I don't have these in front of me right now! Will make this weekend - thank you!

a2Sa, let us know how they turn out. I made this batch to share with some friends and I'm going to make me a batch tonight and put gluten free flour in it in place of the regular flour. I was so tempted to eat one of these but I didn't.

I would like to add that these cookies are crisp. If you drop them on the floor, they will break. They have more flavor a day or two after you bake them and they also freeze well.

You can put the dough in the refrigerator and keep it for a week or more. I have also frozen the dough to have on hand when I needed it.

Just bought all the ingredients today so I will be reporting back this weekend :) So happy you say they are crisp too. Bonus!

When I open a new container of spices, I cut the seal in half and remove only half of it. This leaves an edge to top off the measuring spoon for accurate measure.