- 1 lb. carrots
- 1 orange
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro or flat leaved parsley
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
Juice the orange. Scrub the carrots clean and slice them diagonally into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Place them in a medium sized pot and pour all but 1 tablespoon of the orange juice on top. Fill the pot with just enough water to cover the carrots. Simmer the carrots on low heat for about 15 minutes. They should be just tender - not at all mushy. Remove the carrots from the heat, drain off the water, and allow to cool.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, reserved orange juice, chopped cilantro or parsley, honey, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Add more salt, pepper, or cayenne pepper to the dressing according to your taste.
When they have cooled, mix the carrots with the dressing and serve or refrigerate. This salad can be enjoyed either chilled or at room temperature.
- Add a handful of toasted pine nuts for extra crunch or a handful of Kalamata olives for a salty contrasting flavor.
- Instead of cayenne, use 1/4 teaspoon or more of harissa paste.
- You can also make a raw version of this Moroccan carrot salad. Just skip the first part of the recipe, mix up the dressing and toss with shredded carrots. You may find you need a bit more dressing if you do it this way.
Source: Easy French Food
By LRP from LWL, MA