Mother's Tips For Organizing

contest winner icon

My mother was not one to have a lot of devices for storage or organizing clutter. Here's what she taught me:

1. You can't really ever organize clutter. You can only get rid of it

2. Not enough closet space doesn't mean you have to move, only that you have too much stuff.

3. Just say no to shopping. Use what you have, save money for really important things.

4. Having all kinds of containers, liners, and gadgets is no substitute for living simply.

5. Your home deserves a peaceful landscape.

6. Go for quality: good tools, good food, a few well-made articles of clothing.

7. Ask for gifts that you can eat, drink, read, and put in the ground.

8. Don't waste your time making fussy arrangements of useless stuff. Do something worthwhile.

As an OCD type, I often "organize" to sate my anxiety. I love this tip & could add get involved in meaningful work that satisfies a calling to be useful in the world. Life is more than bread and circuses.

Wish I'd had this list 50 years ago!
No.7 is difficult for the family to accept but i think we got there in the end. They know that soaps with the leaping rabbit logo and expensive coffee are my very favourite presents - apart from books of course!!

Marg from England.

Organizing AdviceFebruary 26, 2013
📓
🌻
🎂