RabbitsPets

Mouse in Rabbit Hutch

This morning I found a mouse in my rabbit hutch. I am very concerned.

They are attracted to the food. Put peanut butter in a trap. Dont use the spring-type trap. Seal any openings the mouse could squeeze through.

If your bunny is vaccinated he/she should be OK (meaning not catch anything that mice can transmit). If the bunny is not vaccinated, talk to your vet! That is always my first worry with buns and mice that mice will transmit disease or fleas.

Just on general principles, I would clean the hutch out well and disinfect safely before putting the bunny back, then consider the following:

You can try go get your bunny on a regular feeding schedule where you put food down, let him eat and then remove the food. This sometimes helps as the mice usually come for the food.

My friends who had an outdoor hutch used the finest gauge wire netting doubled around their hutch and that seemed to keep the visitors away for the most part.

Additionally, they also had hanging around the hutch from strings CDs (either a whole or a half) so the silver sides would spin in the breeze) This also seemed to distract visitors and keep them away.

Hope these help. I am not much for traps...because so few are humane, but if it gets to be bunny vs. mice, you could try some of the catch and release traps and take them to the next town over to deposit them. I know a lot of folks do not like this principle because they say it just becomes someone else's problem...but if you have woods far from houses...it offends the least number of people and doesn't kill the mice.