Moving Tips

A moving box with clothing used as packing material.
I am helping a friend move. She went out and bought moving boxes, bubble wrap and tissue paper (which adds up money quite quickly!)

In my garage, I already have boxes that I save from online orders so I was able to help her save some money. Instead of the bubble wrap/tissue paper, I suggested she put her clothes as box fillers instead.

By using her clothes as box fillers instead of bubble wrap, she was able to get more things into each box!

*Of course, if you are handling glass - bubble wrap/tissue paper may be necessary. But for common items, this would be a great solution!

She ended up being able to return some moving supplies and saved money which helped toward the U-Haul expense instead.

That's a great way to go, using clothing for padding.

Also, for the glassware and dishes...(towels and wash cloths)
can be used to wrap them up in, which I've used when moving instead of buying bubble wrap. And blankets and sheets can be utilized too for more padding protection.

I knew my old curtains would not fit the windows of my new house, instead of getting rid of them, I washed them and used them to wrap items in. A few years later I re-used them again to make my first patchwork quilt.

Newspaper, plastic bags, plastic from dry-cleaning are a good for packing and almost free. Plastic bags tied up with air in make good "air pillows" for void areas. If you have shredder, shred is good. Best in bag to limit mess later. Shred makes a good base for breakables too.

Liquor stores have great boxes. Strong enough for 12 bottles of wine! They have divided sections great for glasses etc.

Check out freecycle, Craigslist etc as people often offer for free pickup after they have moved.

Organizing MovingApril 3, 2019
🎂
🎃
🌻