Moving an Older Cat

Category Cats
Moving pets can be very stressful. This upheaval can be even more difficult for an older pet. This is a guide about moving an older cat.

I am moving with my cat who is 18. She is an indoor cat, but I'm afraid the new house is going to be a real shock. Any suggestions?

Pah from NJ

Answers

We have an 18 year old cat. When we moved into the new house this last November, we put her in a room with her 'stuff' and kept the door shut for a few hours. We checked on her every now and again and she seemed fine checking out the room and started to get used to the noises in the house. When we opened her door, we followed her around as she sniffed the walls, jumped up on familiar furniture and new counter tops. We showed her where her new food place would be and the litter box (which was NOT going to be in the room she initially was in). She still likes to sleep in 'her' room and seemed to handle the move with out a hitch. We were very worried because she has behaviorial problems and stress related issues but all went very well **whew** Hope the same for you and kitty :)

Whilst moving items out of your old home, choose a room to put your cat, a quiet one and leave your cat there. This will be the last room you will move. Cats seem to have an idea that people are moving and get very stressed. Many cats run away during the moving period for this reason. The last thing you want is a cat staying in a room in the new house whilst there a loud noises of furniture being moved and periods of time left alone in a strange house. It takes about two weeks for a cat to settle from my experience. Never let a out door cat out before this time.

I have recently moved from Liverpool out of my mother's house up to Yorkshire with my partner and his family. They have two dogs and three 6 months old kittens rescued from Romania. They are lovely kittens and very relaxed dogs who never harass the cats.

My mother has asked if I would take our 12 year old female cat as she hasn't anytime for it due to depression and she got a dog a few years ago. She just has no interest in the cat anymore. She also locks it in a small kitchen a lot, and the dog is always chasing her. She runs away or hides often when there together.

My mother even leaves her at times to stay at my Nan's and takes the dog with her. My 12 year old cat has always been around other cats growing up. Her mother, grandmother and daughter and family lived with us, but now she is the only cat left. Her daughter was killed by a dog, her mother left home, and her grandmother passed away due to old age, a few months ago. She was very upset about this and cried alot.

She is such a lovely cat, very relaxed, laid back and she absolutely loves attention. What should I do? I think she is unhappy at home with my Mother, but will she settle into a new home with other kittens and dogs. Is it to much to move her? She is very much a house cat, as she only has a small back yard to play and there are so many cats and dogs in the street. She never ventures far. If she was to move to Yorkshire, she would have a very large garden with back fields. Help!

By Dominique B

Answers

I do know it's unfair for cats when their owners have lost interest in them or work too many hours and can't spend any time with them. They spend their days shut up in utility rooms with nothing at all to do. I'd say it's worth a try.