FleasPest Control

Moving and Not Taking Fleas With Me

I have been plagued for 2 years with them in an apartment with old furniture. It was sprayed twice by a professional. My cat is blind, never outside, on Revolution and has no fleas. Fleas were in this apartment when I moved in. I'm done. How do I move without taking all the bugs with me? I lost my hair last year with pesticides and combing and I see the same cycle starting all over again. I am drug/alcohol free and live like a nun. How do I move my clothes and few things without taking them with me. My landlord is clueless, rich, and has dementia. Someone please help me. I'm about to loose it!

Hire a steam cleaner and go over all your stuff. The temperature should be enough to kill the fleas. When you have moved keep on doing the same thing to all your furniture and bedding and curtains until finally you will be free. What a horrible thing for you to have to live with!

Fleas must have animal blood to survive and breed. They can live on human blood but do not survive long or breed. They do not live or breed on old furniture but any furniture can have fleas that have fallen from an animal, etc., and jump on humans. If your cat is flea free then there must be other avenues for fleas to enter your apartment. If the landlord or other tenants have animals and, therefore fleas, you yourself can bring them into your apartment.

You can pick up fleas on your clothes, hair, items that animals have played with, being physically close to another human who has animals with fleas etc. If you have friends with animals, you can easily bring their fleas home.

Flea eggs are tiny, opaque, and difficult to see. They do not stick to anything and roll off of a food source as soon as they are laid. A female flea can lay up to 60 eggs day! As soon as the flea emerges from the egg, they will jump upon any unsuspecting animal host, often humans.

What I do, when I have a flea outbreak is first to vacuum. Then I pour table salt everywhere. Sprinkle it on the carpet, under sheets where you sleep, under couch cushions, etc. It dries out the fleas. Also put a flea collar in your vacuum bag if you have one, and it will kill any fleas that get sucked in the bag of the vacuum cleaner.

Usually when I have an outbreak, it is from a new foster animal that I didn't get bathed fast enough. I give it a seven dollar pill from the vet, called Capstar, that kills fleas for 24 hours.

After this, I would block up any vents or anyplace with screen or something air can get through but fleas can't. I am sorry you are having this problem. I am sure the salt will help as it dehydrates the outside of the body of the fleas.
You can never vacuum enough with fleas. And you can never sprinkle enough salt on the floors and anywhere you lay or sit where they are bothering you. Make sure and sprinkle it where you keep your feet, like below the computer or at the table.
Have a Merry Christmas!

Robyn, excellent info, thank you!