WildlifePhotos

Mr. Red (Anna's Hummingbird)

Vote for this contest contender!

Photo Description
We call him Mr. Red and he's the most curious hummingbird I've ever seen. He follows me when I'm outside filling each of the feeders, and he's curious as can be, and, as sweet as can be. He never minds me with the camera either. When I fill the lower feeder, where I'm hunched down by the fountain, he's right there with me too by my head, and I can feel the wind from his wings. These birds are just the most amazing little guys.

Photo Location
This was taken in my backyard, Las Vegas, NV.

Gorgeous!

Reply Like this photo? 1

Thank you :)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

How nice!!
I have friendly hummingbirds but not THAT friendly..
But I can hope......
Thanks for the photo and the nice comments about a beautiful
species. I feel sure he can feel your love and admiration.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you. I'm really happy to share the little guys with everyone,
they are such fun to watch, and they've each got such adorable personalities. They are the funniest little birds, they usually fight with each other over each feeder during the day, but something we've noticed for years now, is that just as it's getting dark outside, they all become super friendly towards each other, and will allow the others to eat from the same feeders without chasing the others off. It's as though they know each one really needs to eat before they sleep, as that fuel before they sleep is what allows them to wake up in the morning.

I think they're just as curious as we are, but especially Mr Red here. When I'm holding their pitcher of nectar/sugar water, Mr Red here will circle around me looking at what I've got in my hand, and I think he knows it's juice for them. Many times I'll fill a feeder up, and before I can even get the feeder back on the hook where it hangs, they'll start eating right out of it with my arm extended. I'll just freeze in that position until they're done so they know that's okay to do that because it's a kick holding the feeder too while they eat.

Reply Like this photo? 1