Multi Trunked Mimosa

Does this tree need to be banded somehow so that it grows up more so than wide? Mine was planted last December in northern Arizona and is growing like a Jurassic Park type plant. I am just a little concerned about the branches growing in width rather than height. Thanks for your help.

By Nancy

Best Answer

My mimosa looks like yours. It was apparently a full size tree but was cut down before we moved in here. I have gradually gathered and tied it up because it is in the very small back garden of our apartment. It looks better now, more like a tree and there's room to get on to our patio! I don't know if it will ever bloom. It has been completely cut back to ground level at least twice, to my certain knowledge.

My mimosa tree bloomed last year! I tied and gathered the sprawling branches and it worked!

Anonymous

This will actually grow to be a more attractive specimen this way. Leave it be and let it do its thing...:}