My Dog Died Suddenly

Category Health
It is shocking and heartbreaking when your seemingly healthy pet dies suddenly. This is a page about my dog died suddenly.

My 6 year old German Shepherd, Cherokee, died this morning. He was fine when I let him out to use the bathroom. When he came in he seemed fine. About 15 mins. later he was making a moaning sound and white foam was coming out of his mouth. He died immediately. What could have caused this?

Answers

Best Answer

This almost sounds like the dog was poisoned. Can you go and look around your yard and see if anyone threw something in there that the dog could have eaten. Normally, if an animal has ingested poison this will be the immediate reaction. One of my dog's was poisoned and it was so quick there was nothing I could do about it. He was fine one minute and playing in the river and not long after this he started to foam at the mouth and was dead. He wasn't sick before this.

Best Answer

Dogs are attracted to the sweetness of ethylene glycol (in auto antifreeze), which is very toxic. I do not know how fast it acts, though. Perhaps someone had a coolant leak or drained their antifreeze to replace it and your dog drank it.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Or could it have been a seizure? Sometimes when an animal gets hit on the head, or if the animal falls off of something, it can hit it's head so hard, this can cause that to happen too.

I saw that happen once, my mom came over to visit me when I was in my 20's. She had her little Terrier dog with her, and my roommate had a cat. My mom's dog went nuts when he saw the cat, and the cat jumped up on the table, and so did her dog. When the cat leaped off the table, so did her dog, but her dog
landed on the hard tile floor on his chin, which was devastating, and that caused the foaming and there wasn't anything the veterinary hospital could do.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care.

My Shih-tzu of 8 yrs, one morning sounded like she was gagging or ready to vomit. I suspected she was going to vomit, because she made that choking sound when she did. She was on my bed when I heard her and told her to go outside. I followed her to the door and there she collapsed.

I lifted her up and she had her tongue out, so I started to give her CPR, and then she peed maybe less than a minute later. I don't know what happened to her. Has anyone had the same experience? Do you think she had a heart attack? I miss her so much. xoxx

Debbie from Alberta, Canada

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

So sorry to hear of your loss; it makes it even worse when you don't understand what happened. The same thing happened to me several years ago; I was awakened one morning by the sound of my 2 year old Maltese retching at the foot of the bed. She threw up and collapsed. I located a 24 hour vet and rushed her there; all this time she was totally unresponsive. The vet did all he could for her, (her tongue was hanging out too, by this time), but she died.

I could not figure out for the life of me what made her collapse, so when the vet asked if I wanted her autopsied, I agreed, if nothing else but to find out what happened. Turns out she had a congenital heart defect that caused a heart attack. Her loss was made better by knowing what happened to her; I was consumed by guilt, wondering what I could or should have done. My heart goes out to you for the loss of your pet. God bless. Carole

I was walking her, and as we are going back to the house, my dog just started shaking and vomiting something white. Then she was shaking for like 15 minutes and then died. I know she didn't eat anything, she was on my leash all the time. What could that be?

Answers

This is so sad and I am so sorry you lost your dog so suddenly.

Like you said that your dog didn't eat anything so you can rule out poisoning. However, this could be a number of different reason your dog died like they did.

Heart disease
Trauma
Gastrointestinal disease
Neurologic disease
Respiratory diseases
Urinary disease
These are all the causes of sudden death in a dog. It is so hard to say which one actually killed your dog. I would ask your vet to examine the dog and see what he can determine is the cause of death.

Oh my word, I'm so sorry to hear this. Like Poehere said, it could be a number of things. Poisoning, severe anemia, shock.

There could be many reasons. The number one reason is an undetected heart issue. However, because your dog vomited, it could be a gastrointestinal parasite or other gastrointestinal issue.

I'm not sure if you would want to have an autopsy done. My condolences on the loss of your dog.

I am so sorry for you.Sounds like the dog had a fatal seizure.I had a dog a few years back that would have seizures, and would foam at the mouth.It was terrible to watch.

I am sorry to hear about your dog.

It could be anything.. like:
- Cardiac disease
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Unobserved trauma
- Poisoning and infection

More information: www.pethealthnetwork.com/.../sudden-death-dogs

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I wonder if it may have been heat stroke. But more likely to have been a heart attack as humans have the same symptoms as this when they have a fatal heart attack. It's such a sad time. Best wishes.

I know this is a sad time for you but you know that she was well cared for, had a good life (however short), and was given lots of love so always try to remember the happy times.
Sudden death in dogs is a well discussed subject but almost all agree; without an autopsy most of the time reasons given will only be an educated guess unless the dog had a history of previous disease/ailment. An autopsy is very expensive and most vets do not recommend it unless it truly indicates malicious poisoning. It is also stated that actual poisoning happens less than 10-20 percent of the time.

Many times sudden death is caused by heart failure, which may be caused by heartworms. If you were administering the worm medicine then it probably wasn't heartworms but a congenital heart defect.

Here is link that gives a lot of information on this type of death.

tailandfur.com/.../

A dog that stumbles up on, or is given a speed med or drug will also shake, foam mouth, and make odd noises.

My sweet Zoey had these same symptoms. She was playing in the yard and came in as normal. Within minutes my husband went to check on her, she had her head sitting on the seat of her recliner. When he called her she came in the room, stopped in the middle, looked around then went to lay (plopped) down. She went limp and was immediately he took her to the vet. I left work immediately and shortly after I arrived they were doing CPR. I don't understand, sure just had a full physical 2 weeks earlier. She passed before I was able to see her and say goodbye. We were told she had a hemangiomasarcoma and it had ruptured. Basically she bleed to death. She was 10 years old mentally and physically 2 years. I miss my baby girl more than I can explain. Such a sweet girl who loved life and everyone. I don't understand why her. So much life in her.

My dog had no medical conditions to my knowledge. He got routine shots and heart work tests. Yesterday, he woke up really excited and happy as usual. I went to help him onto the bed and right as I reached for him his facial expression changed. When I got him on the bed, he fell to his side and shook for a few seconds. He lost control of his bowels and peed. Once he stopped shaking he went limp. He was gone. The whole thing lasted 10-15 seconds. I don't know what happened! I am devastated and keep thinking what went wrong.

I am hoping someone may know why my dog Charlie died at home suddenly.
He was a Westie of 13 and was very well for his age. He came into the kitchen his happy self and 2 minutes later he was lying on his side and seemed to be seizing. Then he let out an awful howl and just stopped breathing. I know it may sound daft, but I just hope he had no knowledge what was happening to him. He was my best loyal friend and I miss him so much.

Answers

You have my deepest condolences on the loss of your fur baby.

Just like humans, sometimes you never know what causes them to pass suddenly.

You could ask his vet for input, but I find it more helpful to focus on the good life you an your pup shared. It is so hard no matter what, to lose a fur baby, but hopefully you can find comfort in your memories and know that you gave your pup a wonderful life!

He might have had sudden heart failure due to his old age. The best person to ask is your vet.

Thanks for letting me know, i suppose its not going to bring him back if i did, just hope he felt little pain. Thanks Rob

We are devastated beyond belief at the sudden death of our 5 year old Shepherd wolf mix, Missy. She was fine in the morning, came to me for her usual pre breakfast pets, ate her breakfast, and went out the doggy door to play with our other dog. I got ready for work and went to get them inside and when she didn't come I found her lying on her side with her tongue hanging out. It must have happened right after she went out because she was already stiff. She didn't appear to have any wounds or injuries, but when I lifted her head I did notice a small amount of blood coming from her mouth. Does anyone know what could have happened? She had never been sick in her life.

My dog was only 4. She was fine on Saturday and went for a walk, but didn't eat anything she shouldn't. Then on Sunday she ate a bit of meat that fell off a lamb shank my little brother had for dinner and the next day she was being sick a lot, but was drinking. She seemed to pick up. In the early hours of Monday morning she passed away at 4am. Does anyone have an idea of what could have caused this? She was fine the day before.

My dog was playing with the cat, fell on the floor, yelped and he was gone.

My Dane passed away on Sunday. I'm so heart broken! It happened so suddenly and out of nowhere. Saturday night he was fine, ate his normal food, and I gave him a bone. We went to bed and he was fine. He slept in my room like usual and around 6:30 am Sunday morning I was wakened by him kicking the closet door followed by a howl and a second later he was gone.

There was no diarrhea, vomit, or foam coming out of his mouth, nothing. I checked the entire house to see if he had gotten into anything and found nothing. Idk what to think this could have been from. Any ideas? I'm killing myself with guilt like I could have done something differently.

I miss my dog very much and I've been searching stuff day and night ever since she passed away. That's because I want my questions answered. Anyway, it started around February 18 or maybe 17 or 16. It one of those dates because I hadn't seen her around almost all weekend. But by Sunday which was the 18th, I found her curled up against the wall. I carried her back inside and made sure she was all warm (because it was cold).

I noticed she had black skin on her tummy, red eyes, and was breathing heavily. I also made sure she had water nearby so she didn't have to walk far. On the 19th of February, she able to walk and eat as well. Then on Monday (sorry if I'm not specific with my dates), she have bloody diarrhea. A few days later, she won't stop moaning or even crying every day and night. She won't even drink water or eat! On her last day, February 24; my loyal 7 year old Lhasa Apso had her final breath. She had been suffering and we tried taking her to the vet, but they were closed. It's had also been a while since she had her vaccinations. What made her died all of a sudden?
She wasn't bitten, but it was a cold temperature outside.

My friend's dog recently died and we are not sure why. On Tuesday morning he was fine, but when they came home he sadly was not. He was is perfectly good condition; he was healthy. The dogs name was Rugar. He lived with his little sister and 3 Pomeranians. He had no wounds or anything. If you have any ideas what happened please let me know.

Yesterday morning my dad told me that our 14 year old Pit Bull Elsie vomited. I went to clean it up and saw that she had pooped as well. There was more vomit than I'd seen before and she seemed exhausted. I cleaned it all up and petted her. She looked at me, but didn't want to move. I noticed she had a small amount of white foam on her mouth and decided to call the vet. They said I could bring her in 20 minutes. I put my clothes on, got the car ready and went to get her. Only 20 + minutes had passed and I found her now lifeless. She was totally normal the day before, ate well, drank well, and we went for our normal walk. She didn't show any signs of anything wrong and it's driving me crazy not having a clue about what could have happened.

My 5 year old wolf Shepherd mix died tonight. She was fine when I went to work at 1 yesterday. When I got home 10 hours later she was bleeding from the mouth. She died before I could get her in the car. She was healthy and had no health issues. The vet says he has no idea what caused it without an autopsy, which is expensive. She was an outside dog who was in a confined yard. Can you give me an idea of what caused it as I have other dogs I need to protect.

My fiancé and I just walked outside on his lunch break and saw that our 1year old lab was dead. We were in shock to say the least. I looked over his body to see if there were any signs of something hurting him and there were none. My fiancé feeds all our dogs the best dog food you can buy. We just have no clue how he just suddenly died and we need an answer for our children. It has been raining a lot for the past 2 weeks and him being a Lab he loves water, so he would sit in the puddle of muddy water instead of going in his dog house. I just wish we had an answer.

My 3.5 year old Lab mix died in her sleep last night. She was fine last night and our other 2 dogs are OK. What happened? I'm devastated and can't pay $900 for an autopsy. I know it wasn't poison. I am looking for closure.

I lost my little buddy Norman last week. He was only 6 months old. He just had his last round of shots the week before, the vet said he was all good for another year. He was fine in the morning, then in the afternoon I could tell he was not himself. He was just on the couch, tired/out of it. At night, he vomited one time. He did use the bathroom but it was solid. Normal urination. His paws were cold to the touch. Then within hours, he just passed.

Today, my other dog Lizzie (about two years old) passed within two hours. She vomited once and used the bathroom (which was solid) paws cold to the touch, and before we reached the vet, she too passed away. I just don't understand, I am heartbroken.

Both dogs were well taken care of. Both went to the vet regularly. I have checked so many times to see if they have eaten something that was poisoned. Nothing, absolutely nothing to indicate they have gotten into something that they should not have eaten. I just don't understand! Was it well water? Our softener has been not working for that past month? Any ideas?

My 9 year old Shepherd/Lab mix female has been my greatest gift. She was a rescue at 1 year old. She was a very healthy, fun loving, loyal doggie. She always just wanted to play fetch.

Recently, about 3 weeks ago, we returned from a park trip and she was lethargic. She didn't eat, drink, or move from one spot for 24hrs. Then when she finally got she up had trouble pooping. The vet expressed her anal glands. One was very impacted and still not much fluid came out. They sent us home.

Zara, my dog, started to return to normal; all was good again. Then yesterday we found her passed out on the couch. She would bark at me and look me right in the eyes. I got her a treat and she was happy. Did I miss something? Was she trying to tell me she was dying? Did the vet miss something? I feel heartbroken and guilty.

Please help.

Answers

There is no way any of us can tell you what happened. If you took the dog to the vet after he died, you might be able to get an answer. Sorry for your loss.

My puppy of about 9 or 10 weeks suddenly died this morning. He went outside to go to the bathroom, came back in, and he was lying down as though he was asleep. I was about to give him some food and he was just lying there. He had white foam in his mouth. He was out there for like 3 minutes. My kids killed a slug last night. I noticed it wasn't there anymore; could that be it?

Answers

Foaming at the the mouth sounds like poisoning

My sweet Pug Audrey died yesterday at the age of three and I am so heartbroken. She was so sweet and young I just don't understand why she was taken from me and my 12 year old daughter. When hurricane Matthew came through Florida Audrey showed signs of stress. She was panting and shaking. I comforterd her through the night and she seemed to get better over the next few days. I noticed she wasn't eating as much as usual and thought she would be back to her normal self soon. She was happy and playful as usual.

Then one day about a week later she stopped eating completely. The very next day she started vomiting. I fed her soup and water through a syringe. She was keeping the liquids down and I felt confident she was going to be OK. I laid around with her all day to make her feel better. She was emotionally alert just seemed like she had a cold. I noticed she sounded a little congested. Later that evening I noticed her heart racing and she was panting heavily again like when the hurricane came through. But the heart rate was very rapid and I could see it through her chest. It almost looked like she was shaking, but it was her heart beating so fast. I prayed for her to make it through the night. I played some music for anxious dogs and held her like a baby while we slept through the night.

Upon waking I was going to take her to the vet if she wasn't better. She was a wet noodle when we woke up. Her head was flopping from one side to the other. Her eyes looked like they had a blue haze over them and she was devoid of emotion. She looked empty. Her tongue fell out of her mouth. Her legs started running while my daughter was holding her like how dogs run in their sleep. Right after that she died.

We are at such a loss for why she died. It happened so suddenly. I don't know if the hurricane coming through was just a coincidence or what. Prior to all of this she was perfectly happy and healthy as far as I know. Anybody have ideas why she might have died? I am consumed in grief. She was my baby. I didn't work or go out much. We did literally everything together. She helped me through so much and I am in complete shock and disbelief that she is gone forever. Thank you.

Answers

How often did you have your dog take the heartworm preventative? It sounds like heart failure, which may be caused by heartworms. If you were administering the worm medicine then it probably wasn't heartworms but a congenital heart defect.
That is, a weak right-side heart muscle that gave out suddenly. The stress from the hurricane might have made this happen sooner than it would have, but in the case that it was a defect it would have happened anyway at some time.

It's also possible that she had pneumonia, but in that case she would have been coughing or wheezing and you'd have noticed that.

Always treat in southern states because heat heartworm etc. Also always have vet check n guaranty health.

My 5 year old Cockapoo died yesterday. We are devastated. And I still can not believe it. I am shock and I miss her so much! She was fine last night. She had her dinner, there was still water in her bowl and we had a really late night. We went to bed at around 3:30 am. But when I woke up today and was going to take her out to use the bathroom, she was unresponsive. I think she already had passed on. There was poo with blood all over her bed. What happened to her? I miss her so much!

I love you babygirl!

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 18, 2018
🍂
🎄