My Dog Died Suddenly

Category Health
It is shocking and heartbreaking when your seemingly healthy pet dies suddenly. This is a guide about my dog died suddenly.

My 6 year old German Shepherd, Cherokee, died this morning. He was fine when I let him out to use the bathroom. When he came in he seemed fine. About 15 mins. later he was making a moaning sound and white foam was coming out of his mouth. He died immediately. What could have caused this?

Answers

Best Answer

This almost sounds like the dog was poisoned. Can you go and look around your yard and see if anyone threw something in there that the dog could have eaten. Normally, if an animal has ingested poison this will be the immediate reaction. One of my dog's was poisoned and it was so quick there was nothing I could do about it. He was fine one minute and playing in the river and not long after this he started to foam at the mouth and was dead. He wasn't sick before this.

Best Answer

Dogs are attracted to the sweetness of ethylene glycol (in auto antifreeze), which is very toxic. I do not know how fast it acts, though. Perhaps someone had a coolant leak or drained their antifreeze to replace it and your dog drank it.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Or could it have been a seizure? Sometimes when an animal gets hit on the head, or if the animal falls off of something, it can hit it's head so hard, this can cause that to happen too.

I saw that happen once, my mom came over to visit me when I was in my 20's. She had her little Terrier dog with her, and my roommate had a cat. My mom's dog went nuts when he saw the cat, and the cat jumped up on the table, and so did her dog. When the cat leaped off the table, so did her dog, but her dog
landed on the hard tile floor on his chin, which was devastating, and that caused the foaming and there wasn't anything the veterinary hospital could do.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care.

My Shih-tzu of 8 yrs, one morning sounded like she was gagging or ready to vomit. I suspected she was going to vomit, because she made that choking sound when she did. She was on my bed when I heard her and told her to go outside. I followed her to the door and there she collapsed.

I lifted her up and she had her tongue out, so I started to give her CPR, and then she peed maybe less than a minute later. I don't know what happened to her. Has anyone had the same experience? Do you think she had a heart attack? I miss her so much. xoxx

Debbie from Alberta, Canada

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

So sorry to hear of your loss; it makes it even worse when you don't understand what happened. The same thing happened to me several years ago; I was awakened one morning by the sound of my 2 year old Maltese retching at the foot of the bed. She threw up and collapsed. I located a 24 hour vet and rushed her there; all this time she was totally unresponsive. The vet did all he could for her, (her tongue was hanging out too, by this time), but she died. I could not figure out for the life of me what made her collapse, so when the vet asked if I wanted her autopsied, I agreed, if nothing else but to find out what happened. Turns out she had a congenital heart defect that caused a heart attack. Her loss was made better by knowing what happened to her; I was consumed by guilt, wondering what I could or should have done. My heart goes out to you for the loss of your pet. God bless. Carole

I was walking her, and as we are going back to the house, my dog just started shaking and vomiting something white. Then she was shaking for like 15 minutes and then died.

I know she didn't eat anything, she was on my leash all the time. What could that be?

Answers

This is so sad and I am so sorry you lost your dog so suddenly.

Like you said that your dog didn't eat anything so you can rule out poisoning. However, this could be a number of different reason your dog died like they did.
Heart disease
Trauma
Gastrointestinal disease
Neurologic disease
Respiratory diseases
Urinary disease
These are all the causes of sudden death in a dog. It is so hard to say which one actually killed your dog. I would ask your vet to examine the dog and see what he can determine is the cause of death.

Oh my word, I'm so sorry to hear this. Like Poehere said, it could be a number of things. Poisoning, severe anemia, shock.

There could be many reasons. The number one reason is an undetected heart issue. However, because your dog vomited, it could be a gastrointestinal parasite or other gastrointestinal issue.

I'm not sure if you would want to have an autopsy done. My condolences on the loss of your dog.

I am so sorry for you.Sounds like the dog had a fatal seizure.I had a dog a few years back that would have seizures, and would foam at the mouth.It was terrible to watch.

I am sorry to hear about your dog.

It could be anything.. like:
- Cardiac disease
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Unobserved trauma
- Poisoning and infection

More information: http://www.peth  udden-death-dogs

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I wonder if it may have been heat stroke. But more likely to have been a heart attack as humans have the same symptoms as this when they have a fatal heart attack.

It's such a sad time. Best wishes.

I know this is a sad time for you but you know that she was well cared for, had a good life (however short), and was given lots of love so always try to remember the happy times.
Sudden death in dogs is a well discussed subject but almost all agree; without an autopsy most of the time reasons given will only be an educated guess unless the dog had a history of previous disease/ailment. An autopsy is very expensive and most vets do not recommend it unless it truly indicates malicious poisoning. It is also stated that actual poisoning happens less than 10-20 percent of the time.

Many times sudden death is caused by heart failure, which may be caused by heartworms. If you were administering the worm medicine then it probably wasn't heartworms but a congenital heart defect.

Here is link that gives a lot of information on this type of death.

http://tailandf  dden-death-dogs/

A dog that stumbles up on, or is given a speed med or drug will also shake, foam mouth, and make odd noises.

My sweet Zoey had these same symptoms. She was playing in the yard and came in as normal. Within minutes my husband went to check on her, she had her head sitting on the seat of her recliner. When he called her she came in the room, stopped in the middle, looked around then went to lay (plopped) down. She went limp and was immediately he took her to the vet. I left work immediately and shortly after I arrived they were doing CPR. I don't understand, sure just had a full physical 2 weeks earlier. She passed before I was able to see her and say goodbye. We were told she had a hemangiomasarcoma and it had ruptured. Basically she bleed to death. She was 10 years old mentally and physically 2 years. I miss my baby girl more than I can explain. Such a sweet girl who loved life and everyone. I don't understand why her. So much life in her.

I am hoping someone may know why my dog Charlie died at home suddenly.
He was a Westie of 13 and was very well for his age. He came into the kitchen his happy self and 2 minutes later he was lying on his side and seemed to be seizing. Then he let out an awful howl and just stopped breathing. I know it may sound daft, but I just hope he had no knowledge what was happening to him. He was my best loyal friend and I miss him so much.

My dog was playing with the cat, fell on the floor, yelped and he was gone.

I lost my little buddy Norman last week. He was only 6 months old. He just had his last round of shots the week before, the vet said he was all good for another year. He was fine in the morning, then in the afternoon I could tell he was not himself. He was just on the couch, tired/out of it. At night, he vomited one time. He did use the bathroom but it was solid. Normal urination. His paws were cold to the touch. Then within hours, he just passed.

Today, my other dog Lizzie (about two years old) passed within two hours. She vomited once and used the bathroom (which was solid) paws cold to the touch, and before we reached the vet, she too passed away. I just don't understand, I am heartbroken.

Both dogs were well taken care of. Both went to the vet regularly. I have checked so many times to see if they have eaten something that was poisoned. Nothing, absolutely nothing to indicate they have gotten into something that they should not have eaten. I just don't understand! Was it well water? Our softener has been not working for that past month? Any ideas?

My 9 year old Shepherd/Lab mix female has been my greatest gift. She was a rescue at 1 year old. She was a very healthy, fun loving, loyal doggie. She always just wanted to play fetch.

Recently, about 3 weeks ago, we returned from a park trip and she was lethargic. She didn't eat, drink, or move from one spot for 24hrs. Then when she finally got she up had trouble pooping. The vet expressed her anal glands. One was very impacted and still not much fluid came out. They sent us home.

Zara, my dog, started to return to normal; all was good again. Then yesterday we found her passed out on the couch. She would bark at me and look me right in the eyes. I got her a treat and she was happy. Did I miss something? Was she trying to tell me she was dying? Did the vet miss something? I feel heartbroken and guilty.

Please help.

Answers

There is no way any of us can tell you what happened. If you took the dog to the vet after he died, you might be able to get an answer. Sorry for your loss.

My puppy of about 9 or 10 weeks suddenly died this morning. He went outside to go to the bathroom, came back in, and he was lying down as though he was asleep. I was about to give him some food and he was just lying there. He had white foam in his mouth. He was out there for like 3 minutes. My kids killed a slug last night. I noticed it wasn't there anymore; could that be it?

Answers

Foaming at the the mouth sounds like poisoning

Oh my. You have my deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved pup!

Slugs generally are not poisonious to dogs, although if the slug was exposed to slug bait and that is what killed it, that would be a different story. You mentioned that your kids killed the slug, so you may be able to rule that out.

www.petful.com/.../
The link above has reasons why dogs foam at the mouth.

Your vet may be able to give you more insight on what happened.

My prayer is that you don't beat yourself up over it this. Sometimes, like with people, we may never know exactly what happened.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

There are many reasons this could happen and most likely you could keep on guessing and wondering but there is probably no way to know for sure and sometimes people end up believing one "thing" happened and it might not be it at all.

i have heard that a vet can send some of the foam from a dog's mouth to a lab and they might be able to determine the cause but even if that were the case, it would not bring your baby back so in the end it is rather useless.

Your vet may be able to tell you things to check in your yard just in case you decide to get another puppy anytime soon but that is probably about all that can be done.

It is even possible he has had something "wrong" since he was born and it just happened this way.

I know it is sad for you and your children but maybe you can be strong and help your children deal with this so it will not linger for a long time.

My sweet Pug Audrey died yesterday at the age of three and I am so heartbroken. She was so sweet and young I just don't understand why she was taken from me and my 12 year old daughter. When hurricane Matthew came through Florida Audrey showed signs of stress. She was panting and shaking. I comforterd her through the night and she seemed to get better over the next few days. I noticed she wasn't eating as much as usual and thought she would be back to her normal self soon. She was happy and playful as usual.

Then one day about a week later she stopped eating completely. The very next day she started vomiting. I fed her soup and water through a syringe. She was keeping the liquids down and I felt confident she was going to be OK. I laid around with her all day to make her feel better. She was emotionally alert just seemed like she had a cold. I noticed she sounded a little congested. Later that evening I noticed her heart racing and she was panting heavily again like when the hurricane came through. But the heart rate was very rapid and I could see it through her chest. It almost looked like she was shaking, but it was her heart beating so fast. I prayed for her to make it through the night. I played some music for anxious dogs and held her like a baby while we slept through the night.

Upon waking I was going to take her to the vet if she wasn't better. She was a wet noodle when we woke up. Her head was flopping from one side to the other. Her eyes looked like they had a blue haze over them and she was devoid of emotion. She looked empty. Her tongue fell out of her mouth. Her legs started running while my daughter was holding her like how dogs run in their sleep. Right after that she died.

We are at such a loss for why she died. It happened so suddenly. I don't know if the hurricane coming through was just a coincidence or what. Prior to all of this she was perfectly happy and healthy as far as I know. Anybody have ideas why she might have died? I am consumed in grief. She was my baby. I didn't work or go out much. We did literally everything together. She helped me through so much and I am in complete shock and disbelief that she is gone forever. Thank you.

Answers

How often did you have your dog take the heartworm preventative? It sounds like heart failure, which may be caused by heartworms. If you were administering the worm medicine then it probably wasn't heartworms but a congenital heart defect.
That is, a weak right-side heart muscle that gave out suddenly. The stress from the hurricane might have made this happen sooner than it would have, but in the case that it was a defect it would have happened anyway at some time.

It's also possible that she had pneumonia, but in that case she would have been coughing or wheezing and you'd have noticed that.

Always treat in southern states because heat heartworm etc. Also always have vet check n guaranty health.

My dog just passed the very same way. The tongue, legs etc He was given his heart worm meds monthly. It was the most awful thing to witness. Very similar to human natural death (I worked in a hospital and long term care facility). Ive never experienced a pet dying. This felt worse as he was my best friend.

My 5 year old Cockapoo died yesterday. We are devastated. And I still can not believe it. I am shock and I miss her so much! She was fine last night. She had her dinner, there was still water in her bowl and we had a really late night. We went to bed at around 3:30 am. But when I woke up today and was going to take her out to use the bathroom, she was unresponsive. I think she already had passed on. There was poo with blood all over her bed. What happened to her? I miss her so much!

I love you babygirl!

My pure bred 5 month old Pug was sick. She couldn't eat for a day and didn't do any activities like the way she usually did. We brought her to the vet the next day and they gave her some meat and she ate the meat. She took her temperature and it was normal. We were told that if she still didn't eat for a couple of days then we would have to bring her again to the vet.

She went home and we gave her a can of tuna because the vet told us to do so. We also gave her a dose of the medicine that the doctor gave us. Sadly she passed away the morning after. We couldn't find a reason why she should die so young