My Dog Has Itchy Skin

My dag is a one year old Chihuahua/Poodle. She mainly has the hair of a Poodle. She got really matted so I finally took her to get groomed. They had to shave her almost to her skin. As soon as I brought her home I noticed she wouldn't stop itching. I thought maybe she had a reaction to the shampoo they used on her so I rinsed her off.

Few days later I noticed she had licked her private area raw. And she scratched her head so much she has marks all in her ears too. I try putting on coconut oil, but she just licks it off and it doesn't seem to be helping. She doesn't have fleas and it's not her dog food she was fine before the grooming.

What could it be? Dry skin?

And what can help? Any good home remedies?

By Alex

Seems like you dog may have had an allergic reaction to the grooming. It may be a reaction to chemicals or sometimes the clippers get hot and can burn the dog if the groomer isnt really careful. Rinsing off the offending substance wont fix things. She is having a systemic reaction throughout her body. She needs to see a Vet for steroids most likely. Dont wait. All the biting and itching can get a skin infection started. That will only take a few days. They can be very hard to clear up. You will save money and lot of grief for your dog if you go to the Vet asap.

Agreed, it sounds like allergies. If washing your pup didn't help then a visit to the vet is in order.

They'll likely prescribe a pill of some sort and send you on your way. It shouldn't be too pricey.

If haircut too short its prickley for my poodle cross.