My Dog is Infested With Fleas

Category Fleas
Fleas left untreated can infest your pet and then your home. This is a guide about my dog is infested with fleas.

My three year old rat terrier has fleas. We have done everything we can think of, including going to the vet for medicine. Nothing has worked so far. Is there anything else that we can do?

By Mandi Lou from Wilmer, AL

Answers

Best Answer

There is a new product on the market called Comfortis. Our vet highly recommended it because it is a once a month pill that kills fleas with bacteria instead of insecticide. Dogs have a much better reaction to it than they do the other stuff. Give it a try!

Best Answer

Please, please give that suffering little pup a good bath using the original blue Dawn dish washing liquid. It will kill the fleas on contact and will not hurt "Fido." (This goes for cats as well as dogs.)

You should repeat the shampoo again in 3 days, then follow up with a good dusting of food-grade diatomaceous earth, rubbing it into the fur really well and being careful not to have the dog breathe in the dust. Avoid the eyes as well. Then sprinkle it over "Fido's" food.

In over 50 years, we've never found anything better than diatomaceous earth for fleas, and for getting rid of them immediately, bathing them in the blue Dawn which does give the poor baby quick relief.

If your pet is indoor-outdoor, be sure to sprinkle the food-grade diatomaceous earth where the animal sleeps as well as places where they spend a lot of time.

Some people don't like to have their homes made dusty, but I'd much rather clean up dust than to watch another living creature suffer with things that bite them incessantly.

Hope this helps in a hurry.
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Best Answer

My favorite things are a lice comb from the drug store, a bottle of peroxide, baby shampoo, and Dawn. I would, if you are able to, bathe the dog with Dawn first and then rinse. Then put baby shampoo in the palm of your hand, and pour a capful of peroxide into the glop of baby shampoo in your hand. Shampoo the dog and let it sit, then rinse two or three times, softly praising the dog the whole time.

I am going to try the SSS. I've never heard of that. I know the Frontline doesn't work on any of my dogs anymore, and it did work for a number of years. Don't use Frontline. I am also going to try using the comfortis pill.

Also, salt (regular table salt) kills fleas in carpets, and vacuuming is great too for killing eggs, and such. Make sure if you go the D. Earth route, you do not buy the pool kind at the store. You will have to look it up and order it online.

I always put salt under my sheets, on the carpet all over the house, sometimes I leave it for days. Nothing beats Dawn.

Remember, peroxide is poison so make sure the animals doesn't ingest it. Fleas are a pest! Good luck. I would bathe the dog a lot, and after the dog is dry, go over it with a flea comb, etc. Drop the comb in warm sudsy water to kill the fleas.

Note: Don't try the brewers yeast for fleas, as most dogs are allergic to yeast and will get ear infections.

Also, for all our dogs, I take a rag and wet it and go over them and massage their skin every so often. It is like a bath and gets the pollen, dust, etc off their coat. I spray their feet with the water too, it really feels good for them. If the dog has fleas, have it wormed at the vet, since the little buggers get swallowed while the pet is itching and it causes worms which cause the pet to be uncomfortable.

Go to earthclinic.com and check out the pets page for care and prevention.

Blessings,
Robyn

Best Answer

I agree with the food grade diatomaceous earth. You can find it in the home improvement stores like Home Depot. Again, just be sure to get the food grade, not the pool grade. I use it on my pets and in my yard.
Pat

I am at my wits end with fleas. We have used the foggers and they did nothing; we used the baking soda and the salt idea and nothing. We sprayed everything with Hartz flea and tick spray and nothing; I set bowls of water with a light, out at night and only get a few so that's not working real well either. I am desperate and need help.

By Teresa Hupp from Lowell, OH

Answers:

Looking for Answers for Dealing with Dog's Fleas

When you treat your dog and house for fleas, you must also treat the yard or you are just wasting your time. (07/02/2009)

By Fortunately

I feed my pets Brewer's yeast tablets. They are harmless as far as I know and I have used them for many yrs. The animals like them and they put something in the coat of the animal or skin that fleas don't like. We have a farm and our animals are outside and have no fleas. The tablets are cheap and you can just break them up in the cat's food, one per dish of food. The dog will eat them like treats, I give my lab three about once a week. I think they are a vitamin B. (07/02/2009)

By dorsa w

Put about 4 drops of dawn dish soap in the bath water for your dog. I usually put it in after I draw the water so as to make so many bubbles. That way if any critters come off you can see them dead in the water. (07/02/2009)

By Edna Raisor

I have also heard of people using garlic in addition to the Brewer's yeast already mentioned, but be sure to verify online how much to give. (07/03/2009)

By Frances Adams

You have to use Advantage or Frontline to stop the reproduction cycle and get it under control. Using these will help rid them from your house also. Continue for 3 months, then you can use a more natural method if you choose. Nothing that you can buy at the store is going to work. You are just wasting your money.

I have raised shelties (look like mini collies, yes with all that hair) for over 15 years, in my house not a kennel, and have never had a problem since I started using Advantage and Frontline years ago. I do switch between the two products to keep the fleas from becoming immune to just one. I only use them during the warm weather. And I always have at least 5 or 6 dogs, I have had up to 10 at one time! (07/05/2009)

By Kim Bond

We give our dogs prescription medicine from the vet. It's a combo heartworm and flea preventative pill called Sentinel flavor tabs. Once a month dose. (07/05/2009)

By Holly

In addition to using the flea killers from the vet, use 20 Mule Team Borax. It's in the laundry section of the supermarket. Sprinkle it on your carpets (or floors), leave it overnight. When you vacuum it up be sure to replace the vacuum bag (throw out the fleas!). A week later do the same thing again, this will get the eggs. I personally have used this so I know it works. Good luck! (07/05/2009)

By Joyce Lambert

I've heard you can bathe the dog using Dawn dish washing liquid. But I would go for the stuff you get at the vet. (07/05/2009)

By Colleen Stuchal

Do not use the Lysol dip someone suggested as it is toxic to dogs and cats. If you have pets, you should not even be using Lysol in the house at all. I seriously doubt any vet is using it, if they are they are looking to soak you for the tests and treatments for liver damage further down the road, or they are quacks. Also, garlic is not safe. The use of garlic can lead to heinz body anemia. Brewer's yeast is safe but regular yeast is not. The best way to rid your house is vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, every day, immediately discarding the bag so no fleas can escape and washing dog bedding frequently in hot water. Prevent fleas by using advantage or frontline. (07/05/2009)

By Mary Ross

The best advice I got when I had this problem once was "spray - vacuum, spray - vacuum" until the pests are gone. Fleas can remain in a sort of dormant state for a long time so you have to be faithful with the 'spray one day, vacuum the next' routine and throw out the vacuum bags each time. I bought a house and yard pest control spray from our local farm store (Canadian) that was safe around animals and it did the trick in under 2 weeks. Have never had any again but I have always treated my 2 cats with Advantage. Kids brought in a stray that was "Covered" and had it in their room before I saw it! YUK (07/06/2009)

By ERP

After using Frontline all my flea problems were history! (07/06/2009)

By judy

The best thing you can do for your dog AND your family is to treat your dog once a month with Advantage (or Advantix if tics are also a problem). It is a topical liquid that you apply to their backs once a month. All fleas will be dead within hours. It is the ONLY thing I have ever found to work when it comes to fleas. You must get it from a vet or an online pet supplier. (07/06/2009)

By Robin Harrison

If I remember correctly, years ago when we had a dog we had our house treated by a 'flea busters' company that actually used Boric Acid Powder. They had it in a large shaker type dispenser which they sprinkled throughout the house on the carpeting. They then used a clean push-broom to brush it in. You don't vacuum or clean your carpeting for 2 weeks afterward. You can buy containers of Boric Acid Powder at your Local Hardware Stores. It dehydrates the flea eggs so they don't hatch. Google "Boric Acid Powder for Flea Control" to check it out. (07/08/2009)

By Pam

Would somebody please tell me how to get rid of my dog's fleas? We may have to take her to the pound if we don't find the antidote. Doglover77